German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 8 year old boy is 2 days post op from GVD. He didn't lose any tissue or his spleen and his stomach was tacked. He went home a day early as his vitals were steady the entire time. The vet said we can resume regular feeding but honestly i'm scared to just dive back into kibble. For those that have gone through this what did you do differently? I just want to overload him through the recovery period.

·
Registered
15,995 Posts
I eased my dog back on to kibble --- but fed small amounts of turkey breast and boiled rice often to start with - then moved to larger, less frequent portions and then to incorporating kibble with that, then back to standard feed. They did remove her spleen but no other organ or organ parts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My dog had a very difficult time starting to eat again after bloat surgery (no tissue or organ loss, stomach was tacked). In fact, she lost a significant amount of weight and never regained it in the two years before she passed away. Our vet had us feed her boiled hamburger. It smelled disgusting, but it was the only thing she could/would eat for quite a while.

I hope your pup feels better soon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't sure if i should do wet food or rice and chicken. I just wasn't comfortable with going straight to his previous diet and amounts that to me seems a bit crazy.

·
Super Moderator
32,370 Posts
Keefer bloated 5 days before his 12th birthday last year. His surgery went very well and I never did anything special with regards to his diet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it just depends on the dog. I just have crazy paranoia he gobbles food and even worse with water no matter what. This hasn't phased him one bit so far, and his appetite was back the evening of his surgery. He seems more annoyed with the fact that he is contained to a pen for the time being. How long did everyone wait before resuming semi normal activity? Zues has crazy high drive so the recommended 20 days will be tough for him.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
They didn’t give you a post surgery diet or release orders? Feed 4-6 times a day if you feed kibble, with water. Let it sit for about 30 minutes. No exercise right before or after. No jumping or climbing or running for 6 weeks while the tack and inner stitches heal. If your dog is getting no exercise, you might want a feed a little less unless he lost significant weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They didn’t give you a post surgery diet or release orders? Feed 4-6 times a day if you feed kibble, with water. Let it sit for about 30 minutes. No exercise right before or after. No jumping or climbing or running for 6 weeks while the tack and inner stitches heal. If your dog is getting no exercise, you might want a feed a little less unless he lost significant weight.
They said we can feed as normal and only leashed walks for 14-21 days, why I'm asking here. Zues doesn't do anything slow, so hes in the x-pen for now. Hes already tried to play fetch on a potty break. :|

1 - 9 of 9 Posts