German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our puppy 2.5 months ago and have done basic obedience. She listens very well and we will continue to work with her on this. Generally, what is done after this? Is more necessary? We walk and play with her daily, but we aren't able to devote all weekend running around to agility on saturday and obedience on sunday kinda thing.

Is more even needed?

Thanks

btw located in South Central PA if that matters

·
Registered
290 Posts
Depends what you want. I'd recommend to continue basic on training (even just on your own) just because once they hit the teen stage it def will need reinforced. For me personally, we do agility for fun (no competition, etc) but it keeps his brain working. It seems he really needs to use his head or he's a handful. If you just want a good pet, keep up with basic training, but most GSDs like to have a job of some sort, so if you and she are interested in something, just give it a try if you have time.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
We got our puppy 2.5 months ago and have done basic obedience. She listens very well and we will continue to work with her on this. Generally, what is done after this?
Depends on what your goals and interests are.

Is more necessary?
Depends on the dog, and your lifestyle. :) There is no one size fits all "usually" when it comes to dog training.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Try out some different things and see how your dog likes it and you too. There is scent trailing, rally, agility, flyball, trieball, search & rescue, protection, herding. Those are off the top of my head. I agree they like to have a job. Teach your pup something helpful like closing a door or carry towel to laundry.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts