German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gsd owners,

Today is the first day of obedience training for my dog marshall, i am concerned about those 2 months do you think a dog can forget his owner? Perhaps become more agressive with him? He really looked so sad today when i left i can't forget that look!!

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Your dog won't forget you. Of course he looked sad. He has no idea why you left him, but I assume you picked a good trainer and your dog will be fine. Make sure you do any homework the trainer gives you so that transition back to home will be more seamless.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
How old is the dog? What king of training are you doing? If it is just obedience, I don't know why 2 months is required. I know PP training programs are usually 2-3 months.

You dog wont forget you. My issue would be leaving my dog with someone for 2 months. I have left my boy with a trainer for 3 weeks at a time. With a different trainer for another 2 weeks. Both trainers were great for my boy. VERY small operations, kennels were only 5 or 6 slots. One trainer took my boy to his kids games, hiking, etc. I had little or no reservations leaving him. But, 2 months is a long time. I don't know how I feel about that.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Hello gsd owners,

Today is the first day of obedience training for my dog marshall, i am concerned about those 2 months do you think a dog can forget his owner? Perhaps become more agressive with him? He really looked so sad today when i left i can't forget that look!!
My heart hurts just reading this. Although 500 years ago when I was 22 I sent my dog back to the breeder for 1 month for obedience training. After that I train my own dog's. thank god...:grin2:

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
As others have said, your dog won't forget you. But if it were my dog I'd make a few unannounced visits to the BAT facility during that 2 months to see my dog! Not because he'd forget you, but just to see him and to see first hand how they were treating him! 2 months is a long time for simple obedience training...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I couldn't or wouldn't do it. 2 months is a long, long time. Are his problems so severe that the trainer didn't think

he could correct them with one at a time sessions with you involved?

I think most problems are that owners are not properly educated on how to train the dog. dogs are usually the

easier part.

Why not ask the trainer to have sessions with you involved so YOU can learn how to help train the dog. Often times,

when the dog comes back to owner, if owner is not trained, dog reverts back to old habits. Owners need to be

trained also.

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
A good trainer gets the basic obedience down easily within two weeks. What is it you have him trained for? Seems way too long; money making? Good marketing?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Nope, would never leave my dog with any trainer. I don’t trust anyone but me working my dog and the bond we created would have never happened with someone else doing it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
To answer your question, no, he won't forget you. I know someone who boarded his dog for training (Idk how long). He said when the dog came back he didn't greet him right away, it took some time, and that person waited for the dog to approach him. After all, even a week is a long time to not see one's dog.

I would never board and train my dog, mostly because training him myself is a splendid way of bonding. From day 1 I brought him home till now, all his training and tricks are all me. The only time I would consider board and train is IF my dog needs extensive behaviour modication and it can't be done from home (for example Cesar Millan sometimes take a client's dog and implement the dog into his pack.) Other than that, NO WAY I would board and train especially if it's only obedience training.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP, if I may ask, what is the reason you put him in doggy boarding school?
Hi, the reason is obedience training, I'm not allowed to see him for 2 weeks and then 2 times per week i visit him to give him the commands till we reach 2 months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How old is the dog? What king of training are you doing? If it is just obedience, I don't know why 2 months is required. I know PP training programs are usually 2-3 months.

You dog wont forget you. My issue would be leaving my dog with someone for 2 months. I have left my boy with a trainer for 3 weeks at a time. With a different trainer for another 2 weeks. Both trainers were great for my boy. VERY small operations, kennels were only 5 or 6 slots. One trainer took my boy to his kids games, hiking, etc. I had little or no reservations leaving him. But, 2 months is a long time. I don't know how I feel about that.

Hi, he is 6 months old and the reason is obedience training, I'm not allowed to see him for 2 weeks and then 2 times per week i visit him to give him the commands till we reach 2 months

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Hi, he is 6 months old and the reason is obedience training, I'm not allowed to see him for 2 weeks and then 2 times per week i visit him to give him the commands till we reach 2 months
As I posted, this is not something I would do. Find a local obedience class, enroll and have fun training your pup. Isn't this why we have fur pals, to enjoy them ?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You have alot of comments and if you have already entered a contract or something with the trainer, its too late to back out. But, a 6 month old puppy is a sponge. The obedience training should be much faster than 2 months. Are you talking competition level obedience or just simple commands for a house pet? I like board and train and have had good experiences with respect to the level of care my dog received. But, I was looking for a very specific behavior to be fixed. All other OB training I did myself (with a trainer), since I really like doing it and I feel the time I spent with my dog during his first year was critical to how well we bonded.

I understand why the trainer doesn't want you to visit the first few weeks, nothing wrong with that. They are trying to build a relationship with the puppy and you coming and going will not help with that.

What techniques is the trainer known for? Are they positive only? Hard core punish into compliance (this could ruin a dog btw, and the trainer will tell you your dog was crap to begin with....weak, bad nerves, etc. and that's why he got ruined)? Balanced approach? These are important things to get a handle on before you send a puppy out for 2 months.

If you are looking for just pet level OB, I think board and train is overkill. This can easily be achieved with a couple good Ellis or Ivan videos. If you are looking for advanced level OB, you can get that with sessions with a respected trainer and the videos mentioned. And, if you do it yourself, you can apply what you learned to the next dog.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
It sounds like we're out to make the OP feel worse than they did when they came here asking about how we thought their dog would respond -- aka would he remember the OP.

I think people have agreed that the dog will remember the OP. The program of visiting after two weeks for one on one with the trainer, the OP and the dog sounds like a good set up.

I think we've lost sight of the fact that many of us have boarded dogs for two weeks at a time. This should be much more interesting for the dog as it will get interaction with a human beyond food, water and turnout. I'm betting your pup will be overjoyed to see you after two weeks. Jumpy and wiggly and happy as all get out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts