German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with Bacchus that I have never encountered before... We live in NY and have had major snowstorm after snowstorm. This last one dumped freezing ice rain making about an inch or so covering on the snow that has been left over. Normally Bacchus loves romping around in the snow. This morning when I let him out he was fearful I can only guess because he does not have traction. Needless to say I had to let him out downstairs (and not from our deck). He ran out like he normally does in the morning out in the back but then I heard a yelp when he sank through the ice in the backyard. He must have gotten spooked (as he does very easily). Ever since then he will NOT go outside to relieve himself.

Against my better judgement I was forced to take him for a walk to relieve himself. The reason this is against my better judgement is because my husband is away on business and I have 15 month old and a five year old whom I cannot leave alone. But I was forced to do it three times today leaving them alone (the last one at 10 pm at night). I was out in the front within eyesight of my home but it's sooo against my parenting and have a real problem since my husband won't be back until Friday evening. What am I to do? Earlier he peed on the deck which I don't have a problem with at this point in time but he will not do his poo there! When I took him out on his leash around 5pm he immediately poop on the side of the street. I know he has to go again as he usually does this time of night but I just can't leave my two children alone sleeping while I walk Bacchus.

This last go around I tried taking him out in the backyard with me with me even going in the snow trying to persuade him. Nothing worked. The closest he got was going under the stairs watching me sink in the snow and then got down in a crouching position and his body language was that of a scared dog. I did not want to push it.

Any advice how to get him to go out in the backyard again while there is still a think covering of ice on the ground? A strange problem but I am desperate. He was crying at the top of the stairs when I went on the deck and walked down the stairs to try and get him to come with me. :help: :(

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Maybe shovel an area for him to potty in until tomorrow night. I guess you've tried treats to get him off the deck and into the yard?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe shovel an area for him to potty in until tomorrow night. I guess you've tried treats to get him off the deck and into the yard?
I did that already with treats that is. Not to be gross but when he pooped on the side of the street last night, I of course cleaned it up and actually dumped it in our back yard just under the stairs to get some kind of scent from him to work with. Did not work. Now this morning I put him out downstairs so there were no stairs to go down (even though I cleaned a pathway for him there too). I heard him barking while getting my daughter ready for school, called him a couple of times he finally came up from outside using the stairs so it's not like he is totally spooked (he did use the stairs so that is a good thing). But I have not had a chance to check downstairs near the spot I made for him to see if he actaully went yet. As of now he is scratching at the front door asking me to walk him and I just can't do it with 15 month in tow who needs to eat..

The booties are not an option for a long term solution but not for the immediate next couple of hours.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is really turning in a huge problem. I just went out back with his favorite ball and he refused to come on the snow with me. He did not go to relieve himself this morning. My son is sleeping now but I just can't go out for a walk with Bacchus and leave my son alone in the house.

I am desperate. I can only assume when he really has to go he will go on the deck like he did before??

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A simple "temporary" solution that I wished I thought of last night. I put his prong collar on, leashed him up and brought him out in the back with me. He immediately did his business. I guess I had to show him a location where he would not sink in and feel secure enough for him to go. It's still not ideal as there is no traction for him and is still very freaked out by the ice but it's a solution for now. What we do for our beloved pets.

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
Glad you found a solution - I was going to suggest putting him on leash!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts