German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've been sitting out front with mine on a long line for the last couple of nights. She seemed undecided at first and kept looking at me for how to react - which I didn't so she let it go and was happy to wander and investigate stuff. What a huge change from my previous dogs!

I'm still staying home with her though. I'm actually going to do a little hand signal training session with her in the house during the grand finale. I've got chicken!:)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Been pretty lucky all my dogs just don't care. I do play war games a lot with the speakers and subwoofers turned up loud so explosion noises are business as usual in my house. Could have something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I'm going to go get poppers--those ones that hit the ground and explode so I can do some more training with the younger ones and that temporary beagle(I have no clue what he thinks about loud noises). I pop them in my hand not on the ground, that might be to much:grin2:

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I'm going to go get poppers--those ones that hit the ground and explode so I can do some more training with the younger ones and that temporary beagle(I have no clue what he thinks about loud noises). I pop them in my hand not on the ground, that might be to much
I did this and just through the ball outside. My son through one in the house lin the house and max tried to eat when it snapped and crazily scratching the floor where it hit even after picked it up. Scratched up my would floor. I through the ball when I through the poppers outside. He seemed to focus on the ball. Not sure if it really helped they are not that loud but still tried it. I do think/worried now though he would eat a firework if he ever got out and was close to a firework now I saw how he he really went after that popper. It was like Gucci here last night. Max was fine like nothing was going.l even with block busters in a distance. But I really have no idea when a houses away sets off those blockbusters - I've redirect him which so now he is giving me a second or two before he reacted but the other night I was so tired and watching a movie I just ignored the barking. In your backyard 10 -15 block busters the day before yesterday. My chihuahua doesn't mind as much the block busters but he hates thunderstorms and is a wreck.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
My vet gave me a new product called Sileo. I'll find out tonight if it works.
I'll have to talk to my vet about it. my chihuahua hates thunderstorms I'm always afraid he will have a heart attack if we are not around now he is getting older. That had happened to one of our dogs growing up. Not sure if it was a heart attack but one of our dogs teddy died under my bed during a thunder storm when when no one was home- he was always a nervous wreck with them. He was about 7 or 8 and was healthy- not sure if that was it but always always thought it to be.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My breeder used to sometimes play sounds quietly when the pups were young, they included sounds of fireworks, but also construction and stuff. I'm not sure if it helped, but Tchai barely gives an ear twitch to them now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My vet gave me a new product called Sileo. I'll find out tonight if it works.

@Jax08 How did the Sileo work? I just used an Adaptil/DAP collar for my anxious guy and it didn't completely eliminate his fear, but his reaction was not NEARLY as bad as at New Years.

·
Registered
31,506 Posts
I think timing is really important. they started popping off early so I gave it to her at 7:30 and repeated the dose at 9:30. The big show started at 9:30 so it was wearing off. She was pretty scared so we sat in a corner with the vacuum on to help drowned out the noise. By the end of the show, she was no longer panting heavy or shaking so I think it helped, just the timing is critical to hit that peak.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Summer did ok with the fireworks, but we had a couple of other major problems and didn't even see or hear the grand finale.

I had her out front on a long line tethered to the ground and she was fine and sat beside me on the porch watching them with me. It was great and we were the only one on the block -
Until someone walking their lab cut straight across the street coming right at us. When his dog got to our chain link fence is right when I noticed him. Summer exploded off the porch. The long line stopped her and flipped her on her back. She yelped but got up and was freaking out at the dog. I asked the man to please remove his dog from my fence line...the guy was just standing there....

Then he leaves and is gone about 10 minutes and HERE HE COMES and does the same thing again!! Summer does the exact same thing again!!! Then I yell at the guy "You've got to be kidding me"! I start walking toward him yelling and he takes off.

We had about 10 more minutes of peace and I hear a couple fighting at the end of the block on the (normally busy) street. They had it shut down because of traffic control for the firework crowd.

So, this couple is fighting/arguing yelling for about 10 minutes and they're covering a lot of ground. I try to ignore - Summer was ignoring. Then things change - the woman screams and Summer bolts again to the end of the long line only this time she's full on freaking at the couple fighting. I have never seen her react like that to people. I called her and she immediately came. The woman screamed a couple of more times then sounded like she was getting choked and was able to call for help twice, then nothing. I couldn't see them, they were just around the corner of a building. I flew into the house with Summer, locked the door and dialed 911. (it was during that time that I think the grand finale happened). They were here in about 4 minutes. I didn't go outside until they came. When I walked with the officers to the corner - the couple was long gone. Gave them descriptions. Have no idea if they found them:frown2:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts