German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a problem that I need advice on. Where I live there are dogs all around me. One side there is a two little dogs that bark when I'm outside and Elsa ignores them. Behind me I have two larger dogs, one old and one puppy who is the cutest, and when I say hi to the puppy Elsa comes over and barks at it letting her know to stay away from me. Then on the other side there are 3 Chihuahua's that Elsa barks at every time they are outside. When she does this I go over and grab her and bring her inside. My neighbor on the other hand will let her dogs bark and does nothing about it which pisses me off. I admit that Elsa starts it and I need advice on how to stop this. I'm 100% against shock collars, but have thought about the citronella collars and maybe only put that on her when she goes outside? I've tried scolding her every time she does this but its not getting through her thick head. I know she's thinking she's protecting me, but I don’t need protecting from 3 tiny dogs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm not convinced she is "protecting" you. Most likely she sees these other dogs and is either frustrated that she can see them and not investigate/visit further or she has learned that barking at them makes you come out and give her attention (even if it is negative attention/scolding) or ... well honestly, there are a dozen different reasons as to why, and it probably isn't what you are thinking. If your scolding involves raising your voice, it is possible she thinks you are barking at them too!

Are these other dogs outdoors all day? Is it possible to talk to the neighbor about her dogs?

Rather than aversive training.. how about some positive techniques. Instead of scolding her for barking, plan some training time when the neighbors dogs are outside. Take some really really good food out with you and have Elsa hungry. Have her on a leash and start far from the little barking dogs. The second she sees them but perferably before she barks, shove that food in her face, make her notice it
Feed, Feed, Feed when she notices (glances even) the other dogs but does not bark. Then go back inside. Repeat as often as possible, gradually getting closer to where the little dogs are.

Start doing things she loves outside in the yard when the other dogs are there. Play fetch, obedience training, whatever. Praise and reward any and all attention to you and ignoring of the little dogs.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a similar situation with one of my neighbors, they have a chihuahua and a poodle that stay outside all the time. Half the time they will start a fence fight and the other half one of mine will. Because I have 4 dogs, I cannot and will not tolerate fence fighting. I had a trainer suggest an air horn saying it would only take a tap on it and all the dogs wouldnt know what it was and shut-up. Since I got an air horn about a month ago, the fence fighting has gone down dramaticly. In a way, I am training all 6 dogs not to fence fight, and thats fine by me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts