German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s the 17 year cicada brood 2 to be exact. I have attached a picture below. The cicadas are expected to emerge once soil temperatures at about 8 inches in depth warm to about 63 °F. They are expected to emerge in the DMV area (DC, MD and VA) as well as parts of NC through to New Jersey.

For you that remember or don’t know these insects emerge from the ground in the thousands. They measure about 1 – 2 inches and are everywhere. Your soil will appear aerated as they tunnel up and there are thousands of them. Their mating song is one of the loudest sounds known to be produced by insects.

So last time they came out I owned a black Labrador with a decent prey drive. I remember the vet making a recommendation to supplement their diet if they consume these insects. The main reason is that they are fiberlicious :) – basically they shells are not so easily digestible. I do recall my lab when being let out consuming dozens of them whether crawling on the ground or flying around. I think what I did at the time was just add a higher portion of can food to his kibble.

Now my GSD puppy loves chasing everything from leaves to insects. I am assuming he will munch on many of these critters. Currently I mainly feed him dry kibble. So I guess when they emerge maybe I will add quality can food to his diet?

Does anyone remember what they did when the cicada came out in enforce last time? Did you change their diet? Just food for thought.

Here is a link if you are curious about the cicada.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
We had them here. I don't remember the specifics but we had Cheyenne & Chazzy back then. They drove my horse nuts, I remember riding in the trails and my horse was always shying away from them. I'm hoping my dogs won't want any snacks. We've had small swarms of them over the years and I don't remember any problems with the dogs or with them eating them.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Gross...I am dreading their arrival. I HATE bugs...ALL bugs. I remember them in Japan and they would get in your hair and flail around. I will actually have nightmares about them. Also, it's like the whole area has tinnitus at once. They are so LOUD and they start the instant the sun comes up and don't shut up until well after dark.

Great, I can't wait for them to arrive...NOT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts