German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
KRYPTO
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not sure how old the pup is in the picture? I agree with those who said something looks "off".
What do you know about the parents and what did the mother die from? This is a healthy 6 week old puppy. View attachment 576128
Beautiful dog you have there. Exactly what we are hoping to get. She said between 5 and 6 weeks. There were 12 puppies in the litter. Im not sure how much that affects the size of the pups. As far as the parents, I know they said they were both great temperament. Dad is 105lbs mom was 65lbs. Mom apparently had internal bleeding and complications which caused her to pass during an emergency c section.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
To me the pup does not look like it is healthy and thriving. It is pot bellied which could just be due to having just eaten or could be worms. Eyes do not look bright and healthy, the over all look is dirty and unsure. Personally I'd pass on a bottle raised litter unless the breeder was very experienced and making sue the puppies where being properly exposed to adult dogs.

This is what healthy young puppies should look like:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I haven't been there to see the litter. They said based off the mother dying and an emergency c section to get the puppies they weren't allowing any outsiders around. They are almost 4 hours away from us. So its not exactly a hop in the car and check it out situation for me right now either. In regards to the mother. Apparently. She was due on a Monday. Pups didn't show became lethargic. They called their vet who said bring her in thinking the puppies died and she was going septic. Emergency c section there was too much internal bleeding and she didn't make it but 10 puppies did.
I live 5 hours from the breeder I got Oskar from. I went to see all the pups, and the mom, to make my pick, when the pups were 6 weeks old. And, that was during the COVID scare, but the breeder did not object to my visit, they welcomed it. I know your breeder claims they don't want any visitors, but it seems strange that just because the Dam died, they don't want visitors.

·
Registered
KRYPTO
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped out with useful comments on the health of the dog, and the breeder situation. We have decided to walk away from this situation. We got lucky and found another one that we were able to go visit and spend about an hour with the puppies and made a choice today we will be bringing him home in two weeks.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped out with useful comments on the health of the dog, and the breeder situation. We have decided to walk away from this situation. We got lucky and found another one that we were able to go visit and spend about an hour with the puppies and made a choice today we will be bringing him home in two weeks.
Congrats le the fun begin!

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
560 Posts
Congrats. Come back and post pics, we love puppy pics

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Great outcome! We recommend you get lots of sleep now, in preparation for your puppy.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Not sure how old the pup is in the picture? I agree with those who said something looks "off".
What do you know about the parents and what did the mother die from? This is a healthy 6 week old puppy. View attachment 576128
That's a very stout looking 6 wk old puppy! Beautiful! Obviously well bred...

·
Registered
217 Posts
You made the right choice. I do hope that the pup in the picture gets a visit to a vet, it looks like it's in for a rough future. Hope I'm wrong.

Bear - 8.5 mo old male GSD & 5 cats - Benny (6), Nani (6), Kingston (6), Rigby (4) and Hazel (3)
250 Posts
I agree with others. Pup doesn't look healthy. Being bottle fed wouldn't account for this. He also looks much smaller than 6 weeks old. I would move on. Something isn't right.

Edit: Oops I just saw you decided against this pup. Great to hear!

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
I know your breeder claims they don't want any visitors, but it seems strange that just because the Dam died, they don't want visitors.
dam died = pups being bottle fed = not receiving moms antibodies = no protection until their vaccination series begins...

Reactions: OurbuddyKrypto

·
Registered
Bailey - 27/01/2021
142 Posts
Sounds amazing! I'm glad you were able to find a better breeder - the pup in your profile looks amazing! :love:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts