German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
KRYPTO
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. New to the site. Soon to be a new puppy owner. We live in Cleveland Ohio. We are getting our White German Shepherd at the end of this month. He was one of 12 in the litter. 10 made it. The mom sadly passed as well. He is severely undersized for his age right now at 2.8 lbs at 6 weeks old. The breeder said her vet says hes fine just small. I am wondering what everyone here thinks about that plus. What type of diet should we have him on when he gets home? Supplements? She has him on Nuvet plus right now as well as purina large breed puppy chow. Are these good enough for him? I was looking into getting him on Merrick backcountry puppy dry food. What else should we be doing to insure he grows and stays healthy?

I have attached the most current pics of him.

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Congrats, cute looking pup.

Slowly switch to a better high quality puppy food, supplements are really not needed with a good food. Plenty of threads here on what food is good. You'll find most don't think Purina is that great.

Since the pup didn't have a regular litter experience it will probably be lacking some social skills and bite inhibition that mom and the litter would teach. Search here and read about bite inhibition and land sharks.

Focus on bonding and having fun with the pup. Let it experience many different sites and sounds from a distance. Stay away from other dogs and places dog frequent until the pup is fully vaccinated.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Okay, is it just me, and gut feeling kicking in, or does anyone else find the photo set up a little strange. None of the breeder websites, or photo's I've received from breeders, have been 'studio' type photos. I may be wrong, but my gut feeling doesn't like it, and for some reason tells me puppy mill. I've seen staged photos like this on Craigslist, where selling puppies is SUPPOSED to be a NO NO.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My thought when seeing these pictures is that the pup is timid. Is he crouching in one? Maybe he's just in a new setting for him, but it makes me wonder about his confidence.

·
Registered
KRYPTO
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats, cute looking pup.

Slowly switch to a better high quality puppy food, supplements are really not needed with a good food. Plenty of threads here on what food is good. You'll find most don't think Purina is that great.

Since the pup didn't have a regular litter experience it will probably be lacking some social skills and bite inhibition that mom and the litter would teach. Search here and read about bite inhibition and land sharks.

Focus on bonding and having fun with the pup. Let it experience many different sites and sounds from a distance. Stay away from other dogs and places dog frequent until the pup is fully vaccinated.
Thank you and thank you for the advice. I've never liked Purina so i planned on switching anyway. This is my first purebred dog as an adult, and with his size I'm definitely trying to make sure that he's able to grow and be as healthy as they are supposed to be. I will definitely search around on here for those Topics.

·
Registered
KRYPTO
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay, is it just me, and gut feeling kicking in, or does anyone else find the photo set up a little strange. None of the breeder websites, or photo's I've received from breeders, have been 'studio' type photos. I may be wrong, but my gut feeling doesn't like it, and for some reason tells me puppy mill. I've seen staged photos like this on Craigslist, where selling puppies is SUPPOSED to be a NO NO.
He is not a Craigslist puppy. By that I mean i did not get him off Craigslist. I found their website after looking over the last year and had kept coming back to their website because they're in the same state. But also there's quite a few reviews on their facility that seems to be positive. As far as the stage pictures go I am not sure how that goes. I typically in the past have gotten dogs from rescues. The last time there was a purebred dog in my family was over twenty years ago.

·
Registered
KRYPTO
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My thought when seeing these pictures is that the pup is timid. Is he crouching in one? Maybe he's just in a new setting for him, but it makes me wonder about his confidence.
I was wondering the same thing. But in the first set of pictures she sent us he was obviously very little but still looked like he may end up being confident. I'm not sure if it was just a one-off situation or maybe he isn't as confident as he should he yet.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
It seems a little off to me. Does his belly seem real out of proportion with the rest of him? He just doesn't look healthy.

Reactions: OurbuddyKrypto

·
Registered
KRYPTO
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems a little off to me. Does his belly seem real out of proportion with the rest of him? He just doesn't look healthy.
I was wondering that. But he's been bottle fed from day 1 so im not sure how everything is supposed to work with pups like that. Especially given the circumstances of his birth.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I typically in the past have gotten dogs from rescues. The last time there was a purebred dog in my family was over twenty years ago.

you couldn't find a purebred at a rescue?!?! Did you try shelters? okay, so maybe not a puppy but a great dog. Top to bottom - Ellie (RIP, county), Lucky (RIP, Humane society), Buck (RIP. county), Elke (Humane society) and Duke (Humane society), Please don't tell me you are selecting your companion for his color....

Attachments

·
Registered
KRYPTO
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you visited the litter and handled the puppy?
Have you been to see the litter? I zoomed in the eyes don’t look red to me. It does look more like a 4 week old. Remember it doesn’t have a moms tongue cleaning the fur.

Im no expert on large bottle fed litters.

Here’s our girl at 6 weeks. View attachment 576125 View attachment 576126
I haven't been there to see the litter. They said based off the mother dying and an emergency c section to get the puppies they weren't allowing any outsiders around. They are almost 4 hours away from us. So its not exactly a hop in the car and check it out situation for me right now either. In regards to the mother. Apparently. She was due on a Monday. Pups didn't show became lethargic. They called their vet who said bring her in thinking the puppies died and she was going septic. Emergency c section there was too much internal bleeding and she didn't make it but 10 puppies did.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts