German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adopting a rescue dog that was found living on the streets. She's very gentle and timid and not in the best of health. She has Leishmania and is very thin. She has just started treatment and hopefully her health will improve.
I meet her today and walked her along with my existing GSD. They golt along fine together.
My main concern is that my neighbour has two very territorial Bull Mastiffs who think they own the road. When we walk past, they always bark at Rafa and occasionally one will take a run at him. Rafa holds his own with them and if it comes to close, he will see it off. However I'm worried about how they will react to a timid dog. Do you think they will see it as being weak and attack her? I'm sure we can manage the usual barking, but I'm worried about Lucy being attacked and becoming even more nervous than she is.
I would be grateful for any advice.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Good luck with your decision regarding adopting Lucy. As far as the 2 bull mastiffs. This might sound overly simplistic but why not avoid walking past their house? Also, have you thought about talking to their owner. Its not cool to have 2 large dogs off leash w/o a fence running at your dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have spoken to the owner and suggested we walk the dogs together so that they can become used to each other, but it's like talking to fresh air.
Unless I take Rafa out in the car, I can't avoid passing the house. There's nowhere else to go.
I've decided against taking Lucy as I just don't feel I can keep her safe.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Not that its your fault, but its sad that a dog that needs a home and could possibly have a good one gets bypassed because of neighborhood dogs. I would report those people in a heart beat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you mean and I would love to except that I also have unfenced land. We are in rented accommodation and it would cost thousands to fence it in. If he was to report me for having a dog on unfenced land it would mean that I would have to have my dog permanently chained. I'm not prepared to do that.
Lucy is currently in a lovely foster home, so at least she is off the streets and being cared for. Hopefully there will be a suitable rescue dog soon that I can give a home to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts