German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get my 70 lb. new-to-me shepherd a 42" wire crate. My husband keeps saying that since they're collapsible, they can collapse on the dog.

Is this true? Is this a real worry or is my husband being difficult?

Right now, we have a 38" travel type crate and I think it's too small. Our dog can turn around, but that's about it.

I'd love your thoughts and product suggestions.

Thanks,

Alley

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I've always used wire crates and never had a problem with injuries or damage. The biggest perk is the folding and therefore travel ease. Buy a good quality one that's sturdy and you shouldn't have any issues

If he's really worried, then a plastic crate is fine too. Lots of people use them and like them

As for size, a 42" is good but a 48" is better (bigger) if you have the space for it :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Wire crates are great for ventilation purposes but dogs can escape from them easier unless they are fastened really well on the corners. I use a regular extra large travel crate (I have three of them) for Raina. I have one in the bedroom, one in the car, and one to spare. I also have a folding crate for shows. I would never leave Raina in a hotel room in a wire crate or folding crate so if you plan to travel keep the regular crate as a travel standby. They are more certain to not get out of a regular crate (not that they can't - there are some escape artists out there I know) and be safer in a strange place. I would worry less about the wire crate collapsing on the dog than I would the dog escaping.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I love wire crates for the house and airline crates for the car.

That said, my 90lb gsd crates in a 36" wire crate. lol.

No harm of them closing up on a dog though; that doesn't happen if they're assembled/opened properly.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I had my dog in a heavy duty plastic travel-type crate....he broke it and kept getting out. So far, months later, we haven't had any similar issues with the wire crate, and I think he's much happier being able to see out of his crate from all sides.

Also, it's a 48", and it's awesome. I feel better about leaving him in there while I'm at work when he has a little more room to move around in.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I love wire crates. Better ventilation, nicer looking, and easier to fold and transport/store.

But I still have to manhandle the crate to get it to fold. As well there are clamps on it. I guess anything is POSSIBLE, but I find it highly unlikely. Its never happened to me or anyone I know.

Personally I think there are pros and cons to both crate types. I dont think you would be wrong to go with a plastic crate. In my personal experience I've seen dogs chew put of plastic travel crates that are contained in very well built and sturdy wire crates <-- ie expensive wire crates. On the flip side zeke broke out of his cheaper wire crate when he had giardia but has never escaped since.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My dogs are all Houdini dogs...so the wire crates I've purchased have all been a waste of money. Never had one collapse on a dog, though, even after they had it partially destroyed. Did come home to a bloodied dog once, my weimaraner, after she broke the wires apart making her escape.

I stick with the airline crates, now. But it is true that ventilation can be an issue, so take care in the heat.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I agree that there are pros and cons to each. I have had some dogs that can only be contained to wire crates and some that can only be contained to plastic crates. It's mostly a matter of your preferences and your dogs!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Lol Alley, I think he is being difficult. Either that, or he doesn't know how these types of crates assemble. Basically, the 'door' ends unclip and one they're loose you can fold the main body of the crate flat. That's how mine works anyhow. I've seen really cheap ones with flimsy metal that a dog could theoretically try shoving its head through the corners, and I'd stay away from them. Right now I'm using a 48" plastic crate that the dogs prefer over the wire, but ventilation is a concern now that we're heading into hot weather.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate the help! Thank you! My rescue does have some separation issues so I'm nervous about anything that he could potentially escape.

Since I have you guys on the line -- so to speak -- I'd love to buy a new 48 inch crate for my 70 lbs. GSD, but we already shelled out for a smaller one. It's 36 inch in length. My husband bought it for his plane ride. Now my husband is acting like it's perfectly big and I'm worried that it's way too small.

He sleeps in it and will be left in the day time for about 1 to 3 hrs. in it. (He just crawled in it on his own. He clearly likes his own space.)

But are we being abusive putting him in this crate? I should add: once we get a 48 " crate, we won't be able to move it from room to room.

Alley

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I carry a folding wire crate with me when I travel (have a nylon one as well, but not ready to trust Beau in that one, but I used it all the time with Grim) but the home crate is zip tied because it is pretty easy for a dog to learn to get out of it. They are also quieter when they are held together that way. When I travel though the dog doesn't really know the crate does not have zip ties. (It is a different one, same model)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
We recently got a wire pen while our dog was recovering from surgery. I think because the visibility is so good and good ventilation, she had no issues with being confined. For that reason I wished we would have bought a wire crate rather a plastic travel type crate when she was a puppy.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
They don't collapse on the dog, but if the dog is adamant on getting out, they generally can so if the dog has SA or is a crate door/bar biter I would opt for something heavy duty (a REALLY good airline crate or even aluminum box).

I prefer wire crates and have 8 of them in 3 different sizes but haven't had problems with dogs that bite/chew the bars or "dig" and try to pry their way out so even the cheaper ones with the thinner wire gauge work for me so far.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If you get a folding crate, you'll be able to move it very easily. But yeah, my varikennel is set up in the kitchen, and it's bigger than our table, lol.

As far as abusive goes, I can't say since I have no idea how much room your dog has. My 36" was way too small for my growing puppy and that's why we moved to the 48" and I bought it second hand because they cost a small fortune for that size.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have never had problems with my wire crates.

If your dog hates being crated, I could see how they may be less secure though, but I've also seen dogs try to chew out of the plastic ones too.

The newer wire crates are pretty secure.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
For a few hours I don't see a problem with the smaller crate but not for more than that.

My travel crate for 73lb Beau is a 38 inch x 24 inch dog box but I don't ask him to stay overnight in it because he can't stretch out on his side which is how he likes to sleep.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our current shepherd has been in both (plastic and wire) she really hated the plastic on im guessing its because she couldnt see as much, so we switched her to our wire crate and she was in that until we felt we could trust her to be home alone she loved it and so did we but she did figure out the she could escape if she really wanted to so like others have said before me I had to zip tie it in certain spots. The shepherd my mother inlaw has, only like crates if they can be covered on the sides and back. It really depends on the dog. But I will say that wire crates are by far my favorite of the two

1 - 17 of 17 Posts