German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. My husband and I are proud to have a new two year old German shepherd as our youngest child. (We have two mellow boys.)

Our new guy has only been with us since Tuesday (five days ago) so his separation anxiety might level out with time. I work from home, so no problem with being patient.

But I just want some assurance from you that this will level out over time. He walks with us from room to room and panicked at first if he didn't see my husband. Finally he was okay with me and now we're both good. But I don't see how I can leave him alone and go grocery shopping. And where we live it's too hot to leave him in the car. (Plus I'm afraid he'd freak out in the car.)

He comes from Germany and has been well treated, but was in a kennel situation before we adopted him. So, no abuse, but I'm sure plenty of loneliness.

Thanks for any ideas!

Alley

·
Registered
423 Posts
Please don't EVER even think of leaving him in a car even if it doesn't seem to hot. Don't take a chance. (edit) Also the seperation anxiety would still even be there leaving him in the car....

It's good that he already bonded with you. I never had an older GSD. Just from a pup. I had a chance to get one but was afraid he wouldn't bond right away or I would mess it up some how. Now I am sorry I didn't at least try. But I am sure he will get a great home.....

I never like I said had an older GSD. But puppies get that way as they get older. Yes it takes a while but they do settle down. What I used to do with my Kaos (RIP) and now with my puppy Havoc (Especially Kaos) since he had it bad. When I went off to work or something. I would say to him. Be good I gotta get the car (went to garage). Then before I left I had some cheese his favorite. Before I walked out the door I would say be good, I gotta go to work. Then I gave him the cheese. After a while they adapt to your routine. It takes a little longer for things out of the ordinary. Like going out to do yard work when they know you are around. But they settle down. Just be patient. It might take a while.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Forgot to add. Even after they settle down. They get to a point they know your routine. For instance you work from a specific time to another. You get off work they go nuts to see you. But it will get to a point they will understand if your come home but aren't staying. I work outdoors so when I have time to sneak home I would. Kaos (now the puppy) would know I am only home to let him out. Go to the bathroom etc. So while happy to see me he would know play time isn't until I am home after work. They even get to know the sound of a different vehicle if it's you. Kaos would bark if he heard a strange vehicle arriving. But he knew the sound of my work truck. So he would stay silent. I walk in he knows I am only home for a short time. Then when I did get home for the day. That's when the fury started. He knew its gonna be I go out and play time......

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a rescue that had the same problems as yours. He has definitely outgrown the separation anxiety. I had him on Clomicalm and Anxitane for about a month and followed the "desensitization" training that accompanied both medications and he no longer freaks out when I leave and doesn't destroy anything in the house while I'm gone. It took him about 2 weeks to fully adjust to his new schedule, but I expected that. The first week, though, he ripped the blinds off of every window in my house. The second week, I started confining him to our empty spare bedroom. After a week and a half of confinement + desensitization training & meds, I was able to leave him alone in the house and he was fine. He still follows me from room to room if he sees me moving (unless I head toward the bathroom, then he doesn't bother to get up lol) but he now sleeps in a different room on his own volition. This is after just under 4 months, so in my eyes he's made fantastic progress. I would really just continue to be patient. If you don't see any inkling of improvement in a few weeks maybe take him to the vet and see if they have any recommendations.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
Alley (In my best Cesar Millan voice) make sure he gets plenty of exercise (U don't need a Cesar treadmill). That will get rid if some of his pent up energy and emotion. That will help with the anxiety.....

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I work from home, so no problem with being patient.
I think you answered your own question! :wub: Just give him a lot of love and a lot of time... you might be worrying for nothing! Do a lot of reassuring, lots of praise and it will all be great in the end!

And kudos to you for taking in a 2 year old! If he was mainly in a kennel, he has a lot of adjusting to do.

:wub: Good luck and welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts