German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been teaching my 3 month old puppy to "leave it" and to wait for things like food, toys ect. I watched a few youtube videos and one way I saw that looked involved touching the dog to release it. My puppy picked up on it quickly she is almost flawless inside, and sort of ok outside with all the distractions and things to eat out of the grass. When I release the dog I touch her on the top on her neck and say "OK" at which point she can go to whatever she was patiently waiting for. My question is how can I get her to just cue off the release command instead of the touch?

·
Registered
41 Posts
What I have done is pair it with another motion. For instance, my release word is "break". I make sure that when I say say "break" the dog is focused on me and I give and arm motion like saying come on let's go. After a while I only use the arm motion and it works. It takes some time and practice, but you can get there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I never used a touch. I just give the release word, and encourage the dog to move. For general "house rules" our release word is "okay". For more formal obedience, the release word is "farewell".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts