German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.My one year old has always been a picky eater.she just never seems interested in food.amyways last night and this morning she threw up twice, yellow frothy stuff,small amounts.from trawling these forums consensus seems to be its bile acids from an empty stomach (she refused food the night before).I will take her to a vet tomorrow to confirm this anyway and get a good check up. reading through, it seems a lot of people have had good outcomes by giving picky eaters probiotics. What sort do you give them (is it the human stuff, as in yoghurt,or something else?)? what doses, what brands are good etc. I am in Australia and would like to try something natural rather than medicating her, but am a complete novice on the subject.
Any help much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Kefir is wonderful and I did search and you can find them there. You make it yourself and it is very very easy to make.

But I don't know about the picky eater thing.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
In addition to probiotics, have you considered a digestive enzyme product, like Prozyme? It seems to help settle the tummies of some dogs I've fostered, as well as my own. It believe it's different from, but complementary to, using a probiotic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks both. No i havent considered prozyme, am a complete novice at this probiotic diet thing so i may try with the keffir first and see how we go. Have found a place nearby that sells it.
Does anyone give their dogs just plain yoghurt as well and does that help? Zara loves licking out the yoghurt tubs, but have never actually put any in her food, was thinking of trying this too.She doesnt seem to have any lactose intolerance, loves milk in moderation.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Just wrote about this on another thread. Kefir has a lot more probiotics than yogurt. Yogurt makes a nice treat or topping but you'd have to give a lot for it to make any difference.

I would test for SIBO. How are your dog's poops?

You can also try giving slippery elm a half hour before meals. It sounds like your dogs is feeling nauseous (and you need to figure out why that is).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats SIBO?...

the Keffir place had no stiock in so we just ended up getting a big pot of natural yoghurt.Seh loves the stuff!I've been putting in 2 heaped tablespoons with every meal, and she's fed twice a day, theres been a noticeable improvement, she now finishes her food (licks the pot clean) and hasn't vomitted or looked unwell at all for the past week, in fact she is now having up to a total of 5cups a day. I have also been putting in raw meat, roo chunks, and she adores the mixture. Poos all fine, nice and firm and solid, no runs, and she's not burping as much as she used to either. She still won't strat eating on her own, so I still have to strat off hand feeding her, but after a few mouthfuls she digs into her pot herself so I'm happy :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use NatureVet Digestive Enzymes and Wysong Pet Inoculant, both of which are available on Amazon.

My vet advised me to use specifically pet probiotics rather than just human, because dogs have different bacteria in their gut than we do. He says the most important to supplement is enterococcus faecium.

Purina also makes FortiFlora which contains the ent. fac., but it's mixed with animal digest, which grosses me out! But, it's very enticing to dogs, so it might work better with a picky eater. Also, Carmspack has a supplement on her website. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts