German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rescue finally arrived on Saturday. He is extremely thin probably about a 2 on the body scale. It hurts me to see this however I am being extremely cautious in not over feeding him and causing bloat. Saturday he had the runs really bad, we added vetasyl to his diet and his stool is already solid. I am feeding him 3 times a day 1.5 cups in Morning 1 cup for lunch 1.5 cups for dinner then I fill his kong at bed time with 3 small milk bones and some kibble. I want him to gain weight but obviously I am in fear of making him sick. Opinion on anything I can do to help other than what I am doing already? I am feeding grain free Taste of the Wild Bison / Venison. He is so painfully thin but I dont want to over do it.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Taste of the Wild is fewer calories than some others. Acana has more calories per cup as do many others. If he is eating all that you feed him he will surely gain weight. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
If your dog is on a grain free diet because the grain bothers him you might want to stop feeding him Milk Bones and switch to a treat that's also grain free.:)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If your dog is on a grain free diet because the grain bothers him you might want to stop feeding him Milk Bones and switch to a treat that's also grain free.:)
Milk-Bone Healthy Favorites Granola Biscuits With Real Beef. Would that work for dog sensitive to grain? the all naturals version?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It sounds like he's eating enough, it'll probably take a few weeks for him to gain :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No just always feed my dogs grain free, I think it is better for them and has been what I fed my others for the last several years. The little bit of grain in the 3 milk bones does not concern me as long as the majority of his diet is not grains. They are the medium size so they fit in the kong.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Small portions several times a day and I just know I'm gonna get jumped on for this so FWIW... 30+ years of dogs. add a raw egg or a teaspoon of bacon grease every now and then. Not every day, but a couple of times a week until they gain some weight, also makes coats shiny.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taste of the Wild is fewer calories than some others. Acana has more calories per cup as do many others. If he is eating all that you feed him he will surely gain weight. Good Luck
Huh, didnt even think of that, started on grain free several years ago and had some not go over so well found Taste of the Wild, they love it and I like that the ingredients are more natural game not farm animals so I stuck with it.

On that note, is there anything anyone suggests adding as a supplement to the diet? I am doing some research here and I dont know if my google skills are that off or what but not finding any really good info on adding "weight gainer" for dogs. Plenty on horses but not really much info on dogs.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Really it's just time and quality food. There is no magic fix. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Small frequent meals, snacks, quality foods and excercise. He will gain weight, but it should be slow.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Small portions several times a day and I just know I'm gonna get jumped on for this so FWIW... 30+ years of dogs. add a raw egg or a teaspoon of bacon grease every now and then. Not every day, but a couple of times a week until they gain some weight, also makes coats shiny.
I do feed my dogs raw eggs as well, it will be some time before he gets that on his food. I want a consistent solid poop out of him without help from the Vetasyl for a week or two before I go throwing that in there. Also hoping that the frantic eating slows down too. He still eats pretty quickly even with the slow feeder. But I agree regardless of what others think, it is a great source of protein and the shells are good for them too. (not daily but we do once a week, its usually the Sunday breakfast here dogs look forward to it every Sunday having their eggs) I dont really eat bacon not a viable option, but the thought has me thinking about other healthy oils..... Hmmm

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I do feed my dogs raw eggs as well, it will be some time before he gets that on his food. I want a consistent solid poop out of him without help from the Vetasyl for a week or two before I go throwing that in there. Also hoping that the frantic eating slows down too. He still eats pretty quickly even with the slow feeder. But I agree regardless of what others think, it is a great source of protein and the shells are good for them too. (not daily but we do once a week, its usually the Sunday breakfast here dogs look forward to it every Sunday having their eggs) I dont really eat bacon not a viable option, but the thought has me thinking about other healthy oils..... Hmmm
I recently read an article that high quality olive oil helps lesson shedding as well. Hmmm... wonder if I can find it.

This isn't the same article but it talks about it...

Reduce Dog Shedding by 75% in a Month | The MuttWorks Blog

and another one. :)

Easy Ways to Manage a Dog Shedding Problem (Cats Too)

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Seacure for Pets speeds the healing of wounds throughout the body, repairs digestive organs, alleviates nausea and vomiting, stops diarrhea, supports the liver during detoxification, reduces the side effects of chemotherapy and possibly helps prevent or reverse cancer, prevents toxemia in pregnancy, rescues newborns from Fading Puppy Syndrome, helps elderly dogs maintain their strength and stamina, helps all dogs recover from chronic and acute illness, stimulates hair growth, reduces urinary tract infection, reduces or eliminates allergic reactions, prevents hot spots improves mobility, reduces pain, and even enhances the effectiveness of homeopathy and herbal therapies.
That miracle food exists, and dogs love its taste. They should. It's an odoriferous powder made from fermented fish.
Invented to Combat Hunger
Forty years ago, scientists at the University of Uruguay, who were search under the direction of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences for a way to feed starving children, perfected a fermentation technology that predigested fish, creating a highly absorbable protein supplement. Fresh, deep-sea whitefish fillets were broken down by marine microorganisms, then dried to create a fine powder.
During the 1970s and 1980s, physicians in Uruguay and adjacent countries used the formula to save the lives of thousands of premature, underweight, or malnourished infants. In clinical studies, these infants showed significant improvement in weight and immunity factors (globulin and gamma globulin levels) within 30 to 60 days. No premature infants receiving the fish formula developed edema. When other infants developed edema, use of the formula caused its disappearance within 48 to 72 hours.
Seacure for Pets 100g powder by Proper Nutrition

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seacure for Pets speeds the healing of wounds throughout the body, repairs digestive organs, alleviates nausea and vomiting, stops diarrhea, supports the liver during detoxification, reduces the side effects of chemotherapy and possibly helps prevent or reverse cancer, prevents toxemia in pregnancy, rescues newborns from Fading Puppy Syndrome, helps elderly dogs maintain their strength and stamina, helps all dogs recover from chronic and acute illness, stimulates hair growth, reduces urinary tract infection, reduces or eliminates allergic reactions, prevents hot spots improves mobility, reduces pain, and even enhances the effectiveness of homeopathy and herbal therapies.
That miracle food exists, and dogs love its taste. They should. It's an odoriferous powder made from fermented fish.
Invented to Combat Hunger
Forty years ago, scientists at the University of Uruguay, who were search under the direction of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences for a way to feed starving children, perfected a fermentation technology that predigested fish, creating a highly absorbable protein supplement. Fresh, deep-sea whitefish fillets were broken down by marine microorganisms, then dried to create a fine powder.
During the 1970s and 1980s, physicians in Uruguay and adjacent countries used the formula to save the lives of thousands of premature, underweight, or malnourished infants. In clinical studies, these infants showed significant improvement in weight and immunity factors (globulin and gamma globulin levels) within 30 to 60 days. No premature infants receiving the fish formula developed edema. When other infants developed edema, use of the formula caused its disappearance within 48 to 72 hours.
Seacure for Pets 100g powder by Proper Nutrition
Gator Bytes, do you have personal experience with this supplement? It sounds good but I would want some feed back based on first hand experience, let me know.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am bumping this thread back up. I am still not seeing the weight gain that I would like in Diesel. Although my neighbors say he appears to be gaining it just seems as though he really is not. I have had him for 20 days now and we are up to feeding 1.5 cups 3x's a day of Taste of the Wild Grain free prarie, two kongs a day filled with 1/2 c TOW, Two various milk bone like treats, and about 1tbs of Peanut butter.

I am hesitant at this point to change his base kibble at all. He is just now getting a firm stool and I dont want him to be back to the runs. I have learned (thanks to this forum) that TOW may not be the best kibble out there but there are certainly worse ones I could be feeding. Starting this weekend (since his stool is just now firm within the last couple days) I am going to add an egg to his dinner. Anything else I can safely do to pack on the pounds? The prior post from Gator Bytes was ok, but no one really said they had a personal experience with it which I am not ok with. If I go to the store and buy some uncooked bones for him will that help with weight at all?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I like adding coconut oil to the diet of skinny fosters, not just for calories but for health. I also think digestive enzymes (Prozyme) can make a big difference for some of them.

Are you weighing him regularly? Your vet might let you just bring him buy every few weeks to stand on the scale in the lobby to monitor the weight.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I like adding coconut oil to the diet of skinny fosters, not just for calories but for health. I also think digestive enzymes (Prozyme) can make a big difference for some of them.

Are you weighing him regularly? Your vet might let you just bring him buy every few weeks to stand on the scale in the lobby to monitor the weight.
He weighed 71lbs upon arrival (which was 13lbs down from his intake weight at vets when he was put there before neuter).

I had my husband pick him up and get on the scale and he has only gained 3lbs (as of last weekend) I am feeding him a ton (IMO) but he is also getting a lot of exercise daily too so I know he is burning some of that. I just want it to speed up, I am embarrassed when people who dont know what has gone on with him see him, I dont want them to think we are starving him!!

I actually have some coconut oil here that we tried to take once but hated it and never went back to it. Just about a full jar of organic natural coconut oil. Its semi solid white and gross!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I feed my pups "taste of the wild". They have very soft shiny coats. Yes they shed but not that much...when I tried less quality cookies "treats" they had tummy problems
Mine like the good stuff-lol- but they are worth it!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
377 Posts
Some do and some don't like TOTW. It is highly rated by dog food analysis sites.
My humble opinion is that it is good dog food. But there are better, which are
likely more expensive. I use Acana, which is about $30/bag more expensive than
TOTW. I would use Orijen but my dog's digestive system doesn't like it.
Try this site, maybe you can find one you like that has more calories per serving.
Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts