German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5.5 month old pup approx 65lbs, tall and lean, very healthy.

We've just moved BACK home, but although it is mine and my husbands home, its completely new to the puppy. He is restless and a little anxious, although not completely misbehaved he is struggling more than normal. Part of this I think is because he's not getting as much exercise as he's used to. Previously he and I were hiking on average 20 miles per week, plus walks, plus play time. Hikes were off leash so he could just run and run and run as much as he liked. He LOVES to run.
For the next month, I do not have transportation during the day except for the one to two days my husband has off. So Huter and I need to find ways to exercise close to home. The problem is, its not NEARLY enough and he's pent up. IN a month, this wont be a problem, but our second vehicle is in the shop and I cannot afford a rental. I can walk him for 2 hours and it only barely works him. We play in the back yard and use a flirt pole, but the pup likes to travel and gets bored with toys/balls after about 15 minutes. He's used to hiking and that is a lot more exhausting than walking on flat land.
If I cannot take him running....what do you think I can do to help his pent up energy and make this move a little less hard on him?

And yes, we also do training and mental work, which he LOVES but does not wear his body out.

This may be a pointless thread...I cant think of anything else, maybe it'll just have to do until I get the car back and can go somewhere where he can run free?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Awe, I feel your pain! I have no advice except maybe he'll settle in after a bit longer and get more "used' to things. Best of luck! Sounds like you are doing it all correctly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! I hopefully found a solution thats safe. We have a canal close to our house, with a dirt trail next to it. I took huter out for a run on it just now. But I put him on a long lead so that he could run ahead of me and then if he needed or wanted to slow down/stop, he could and I would see. That way he's still going at his own pace, but he's on a leash, and he's running lol

What do you guys think? Is that okay? we did an hour of interval running. I cannot run very far distances anyway, so he was only ever running for a few minutes at a time, then we'd walk. And like I said, he was on a long lead so I could notice if he needed to stop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts