German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a long time since I last posted on the board so its nice to be back...

So Heres the issue, Justice is a bit over 5 (human years) and has lived with her friend Tobie (a cat) since we brought her home. I swear they were best of friends however Justice did at times torment him to no end. Tobie had the ability to hurt Justice but never did. They spend all day while im in work together as well.

Well yesterday when I got home it was a regular day, I got home and started cooking dinner, Justice mirrored me and all the time she was crying. She began crying incessantly and would not stop. I just thought it was her either being Justice or just trying to get attention that at the time I could not provide. After dinner she just switched to crying and annoyed my wife. This behavior did NOT stop for a good 4 hours. At about 830 last night Justice was going in a tizzy just spinning in circles and just being crazy. It just so happened that my wife was in the Dining room when she called into me to come in quick. She pointed to the floor under one of the chairs and there was Tobie, Tobie had died (he was 17). While I was attempting to get rid of the body Justice exhibited behavior that I can only call concern and worry, so much so I had to put her in the bedroom with my wife so I could remove Tobie.

Since I took Tobie outside, Justice has been a mirror to me. She will not leave my side (which is not a problem and i love it) but I see the stress and worry in her behavior. I swear I could see her missing Tobie this morning while she lied where Tobie used to sleep throughout the day.

My worry is that Justice has EPI and im greatly concerned that any additional stress on her will just exacerbate the problem. How long does this stress of losing a pack member usually take? Can anyone give me some advise on how to deal with her at this time? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.

When we lost our dog, our cat was not himself for a few months. He would wander around the house for months looking for her. Like yours these two had a special bond.

I think it depends on the pet and their relationship, and how long they were together.

Every day will be a better day for Justice.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
So sorry about your loss. I don't know very much about EPI though. I will tell you that animal grieving is very real. Our cat Xavier made crying meows for days after our big Rhodesian Bob died in January of this year. He constantly went to the place Bob spent most of his time and kept searching for him obsessively for about 2 months. That was almost as sad to watch as losing Bob was for us. The best thing we did for us and Xavier was to get him a new puppy... Max!! Maybe you should get Justice a new kitty real soon?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
aww I'm so sorry for your loss, and for Justice's loss too:(( how sad!

I would get Justice a new friend (as in kitty) to, kitties can be great company for a dog savvy dog..

·
Registered
529 Posts
that is so awful poor Justice had to see her friend die...but at least Tobie wasn't alone....sorry for your loss. When my last dog died I was rushing home on Easter Sunday when I got "the" call. I didn't make it in time. My mom's GSD was there and watched her best friend die. It was a little violent in that he had seizures and there was panic, fear and chaos in the house. She had to be crated and was clawing trying to get out. Dog's feel the same grief and loss we do. And like humans, each is different. Our girl recovered relatively quickly; we made sure she spent lots of time with the family and she wouldn't leave my side. We got through it together and everyone seemed able to move on. If Justice seems sad for too long, you can consider a Bach Flower Remedy to help get her over the hump...we used RR for a little bit with our girl just to help calm her.

Original Bach Rescue Remedy now alcohol free for Pets

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone... Hearing the amount of time animals seem to grieve I see this is going to be a long process. As far as getting a new kitty, im not sure thats going to happen, its my wifes decision and she wants another baby before a pet. This whole thing it just plain sad....

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
it is very sad:(( hope justice feels better soon

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss :hugs: Rest In Peace Tobie xx

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Thats so sad for poor Justice. The only thing is at least he knows what happened to his buddy. Animals know. When we lost my husbands horse, my horse laid by her side all morning. I came home around noon, he got up and looked at me an whinnied. It was heart breaking. I was going to take him away, out into the trails so he wouldn't see them take her away but I decided to leave him, this way he wouldn't look for her her. Years before when I had to get give our pony away, he ran around his pen crying franticly. As morbid as it may sound I would like my dogs to be able to see me when I pass on.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm so sorry, this is very sad. My condolences to you, Justice, and your family on your loss of Tobie.

As others have said, dogs grieve like people do ... some get over it relatively fast, others can grieve for a very long time.

I can understand that the stress of losing her pal could affect Justice's health. I agree that you should go to the shelter and get her another kitten/companion. It might help her and be good for everyone ... human and canine!

REST IN PEACE TOBIE ... may you run free at the Bridge!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss and Justice's loss of her best friend. Gentle (((hugs)))

·
Registered
60 Posts
The loss of any animal is never easy. But that's life. We, all creatures, come at some point in this life time and eventually we will all go.

I am trying to prepare myself for the eventual loss of my dog but although I lost the previous one at 10 months of age I doubt if I will get over an eventual loss of my dog easily.

But animals do grieve not only if they lose loved ones but also if they are taken away from loved ones.

Time will heal you and Justice over the loss of Tobie. Be patient my friend and have strength. Maybe getting another pet since you plan for a new baby does not appear to be a very good idea to you and your wife but we can not say the same for Justice can we?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts