German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I’m new to this site and need a bit of advice please!
I have a 14 year old boy called kaiser he’s still like a little pup even though his hind legs have dropped in the last year and he struggles to get up but can’t feel it. He’s had this checked by a vet and isn’t in pain so far, he never whimpers and active when he gets going always wagging his tail like a little pup! but during the week he seemed really sad in himself and I noticed his right ear is no longer standing straight up, it’s almost wonky and then today I noticed his lip on his right hand side of his face was longer than the left hand side and today he had a mucus like drool today too. I literally feel like he’s after having a stroke I have him booked in for the vet for a check up but due to the covid restrictions it’s not until further in the week! I’m really worried should I be preparing for the worst?
thanks sorry for the long post

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here's hoping for the best. 14 years is a ripe old age for GSD. I'm sure you know that that time is approaching. We have three dogs, my 14 old GSD was always by me. One night when I notice he wasn't next me while I was watching TV. Wondering what trouble the three were up to I went looking and I found him dead on the floor in another room, vet thinks he had a stroke. That was three years ago, last November my almost 14 year lab dropped 17# in two weeks when he quit eating for two days and wouldn't even take peanut butter off my finger I knew it was time.

You need to discuss quality of life with your vet and be prepared to make a hard choice.

Does your vet know about the latest symptoms? Mine would see us right now if called with those symptoms.

·
Registered
489 Posts
What a testament to your care to have a 14 yo GSD. I've lost 3 in the last two years, ages 11 & 12 and a GSD mix that was almost 15. Sadly I have been there were you are right now recently. We can't turn back time but have to go day by day and decide when the bad days outweigh the good days and decide when your boy no longer has a quality of life. It's the last gift you can give your dog when time comes to release him from his pain. I am very sorry. Give him an extra hug today. I hope you have more time with him.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I am never prepared to lose a dog, so I’m not the right person to answer your question. 14 is a long age for our breed, but he might have time left. Go in with an open mind and see what the vets diagnoses. If it’s time, then you can prepare yourself for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thanks so much for taking the time to reply! He seems to have a lot more good days then he has bad and he’s not in pain and I would never want him to be in pain I’d rather him be at peace ❤ but I completely understand yer advice and he’s booked in for the vet on Tuesday morning so fingers crossed he’ll keep his puppy spirit but until then I’m going to spoil him with time and love until then just in case xx thank you for yer replies again

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Hey guys thanks so much for taking the time to reply! He seems to have a lot more good days then he has bad and he’s not in pain and I would never want him to be in pain I’d rather him be at peace ❤ but I completely understand yer advice and he’s booked in for the vet on Tuesday morning so fingers crossed he’ll keep his puppy spirit but until then I’m going to spoil him with time and love until then just in case xx thank you for yer replies again
Hey! We like pictures ya know, and don't run away. Puppies are fun and all, but old dogs rock. They've seen it all, done it all and know it all. Some of my happiest memories with my dogs have been when they were old enough to recognize the value of sitting on the porch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont worry I won’t be running I’m delighted I found this page, I’m learning so much! Can’t believe I didn’t find it sooner! Oh I know he’s an absolute gent, an old slob.. I love him to bits just want him to be comfortable and happy 💗 funny you mention the porch it’s his favorite perch just watching the world go by ☺ They are such a beautiful breed with an amazing temperament he’s like an old gent in a furry coat!

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
He looks pretty awesome for that age. You have done a great job with him. I hope he is well enough to live with a drool, a hanging lip and ear. Keep us posted. Old dogs are great; you don't have to tell them anything but loving nonsense.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like you have your head on straight but please, I echo the above: you need to discuss quality of life with your vet and be prepared to make a hard choice.

GSD are notorious for hiding pain, especially chronic pain. Just because they don't whimper and can still play when they want to doesn't mean they aren't in pain or are enjoying an acceptable quality of life. Sorry if it sounds harsh but I see people all the time posting that they have an older dog that's lost control of it's bowels or hind legs, blind. deaf. rotting teeth, have to carry them everywhere "but I can't bring myself to put him/her down and they're not in pain"

These decisions are hard but they trust us to make the right decision for them. Why we wait UNTIL they're in obvious pain or rush them to the emergency vet to be put down is beyond me. It's purely selfish.

Again, you sound like your head's on straight, good luck! Prayers heading up for you both.

·
Registered
60 Posts
dont worry I won’t be running I’m delighted I found this page, I’m learning so much! Can’t believe I didn’t find it sooner! Oh I know he’s an absolute gent, an old slob.. I love him to bits just want him to be comfortable and happy 💗 funny you mention the porch it’s his favorite perch just watching the world go by ☺ They are such a beautiful breed with an amazing temperament he’s like an old gent in a furry coat!
View attachment 560102
Awwww he's gorgeous! I'm just dropping in to say that I've had a vet tell me that dogs don't always cry when in pain. Our vet put our GSD on gabapentin and (something else) in his last days so he was comfortable. They helped a lot especially at first and gave him more time. Bought ours from Alivet and saved a bundle over what the vet was charging. I hope your guy gets a lot more time with you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey just me 2 cents here I’m not a vet or anything close but just put down my 14 year old pitbull and I put it off until I had to and I don’t really regret it. She had the drooling thing you speak of as well which our vet suggested probably was some kind of abcess in her mouth which eventually got to the point of making it hard for her to eat and blood in the drool which as fate would have it showed up on the way out the door to bring her to the vet for her last appointment. Her ears also became pinned back. They were never cropped but they were lively and floppy until the end they sort of laid back on her head and didn’t move much. She was def which may have played a part in that so maybe something to look into with your dog also. But again we had the convo with our vet about a month prior and he sort of just gave us things to look for that were signs that she was ready and other than that I felt no one knew her better than me and my wife. I dreaded that day for 14 years but I will say I feel both myself and my dog knew that day that that was the day

·
Registered
143 Posts
Max the pit was almost 16 when the back end finally gave out. He had arthritis in his spine and was on pain killers for years. Yes, he was addicted but he didn't mind. We closed off the stairs at one point because he could go up but down was a problem. He obviously felt it. We raised up his bowl because stooping to eat seemed very uncomfortable for him. We bought a crib mattress for his bed. He walked around here grumbling like and old man about everything but he was still the same sweet dog. I urge you to keep that beautiful boy comfortable and give him as much love as possible. I spent a lot of time sitting on the floor with my old man. Talk to your vet about his comfort.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Aww he's such a sweet looking boy. He'll tell you when it's time, but I hope it's nothing serious. I'm praying for you and your boy

·
Registered
241 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself or offending someone, no they often don't "tell you when it's time" until they're in obvious distress. GSD are renowned for hiding/having a high tolerance for pain.I wish more people would show the courage necessary to make hard decisions when the dog's quality of life has sunk to the point where were only making it hang on for our own selfish reasons.

Sorry, but it's a bit of a (pet) peeve of mine and I have seen too many dogs suffering the indignities of severe old age and disease/chronic pain, loss of body control/function and owners just keep them around because the decision is so hard...until a panic run to the emergency vet requires them to be put down in a panic.

We owe our best friends more than that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts