German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! This is my first post here and I'm hoping I can get some recommendations for breeders in the SC/NC/GA area. Here is a little bit about my background and my family's current needs if that will help with suggestions...

I grew up with GSDs - my family bred and showed dogs (confirmation and obedience) along with some tracking and schutzhund work. I was raised around dogs that were family companions but also had "jobs". By the time I was in college we no longer had shepherds, but as soon as I got married and my husband and I bought our first house we also bought a GSD. He was a wonderful part of our family but we lost him to cancer earlier this year at the very young age of eight. While my heart isn't ready to replace him, my home seems very empty without a GSD by the door and I would like to start looking for a puppy/young adult to bring home this fall.

Our family is myself, my husband, and our two year old daughter (who ADORES dogs and was crazy about the dog we lost). We are an active family - my husband likes to camp and hike and would love a dog who would love to go with him. I would like a dog that is intelligent and has some working drive, but also has the trainability and would be good with children. I'd like a dog who would be comfortable just "hanging out" in the house (supervised of course) , going to the park with my daughter and I, and going to the river with my husband.Temperament is very important - an even temperament, but not soft. Color and sex are not important to me, and while I'd love a puppy, I am considering young adults as well. I'd like an attractive and well built, healthy dog. I'm having a hard time finding breeders that I think fit my needs- I found a few who unfortunately were well out of my price range ($3000+). Sorry to write a book - but I was hoping that might help with any suggestions anyone might have. Thank you for any advice you can give!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
They are in TN, but I would look at Von Tajgetosz. They were on my short list, but it was not meant to be. But I would go there in the future. Very nice and knowledgable, trial and show all their dogs at very high levels.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
With so many health and temperment issues in the breed. PLUS the real break in the different 'flavors' it really helps to do your research in what KIND of GSD you want plus figure out the 'responsible' breeders from the uh............. not. The more knowledge and learning we have before talking to a breeder, the more the BEST breeders will seriously consider us worthy for one of their dogs because we spent the time to do the research.

Great site is ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/162231-how-find-puppy.html as well as ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/241002-link-how-tell-good-breeder-website-bad-one.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Von den Oher Tannen Nadia is a great breeder and person, with beautiful healthy dogs :) She does it the "right" way :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts