German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a three year old GSD who we have had since puppyhood. (Otto) I recently rescued a 3 year old female GSD (Berlin) from our local Humane Society. Both are neutered/spayed. She was surrendered due to a neighborhood dispute and she was accused of biting a smaller dog. We have now had her for six weeks. She definitely has the prey drive kick in with small dogs so we know her limitations, but other then that she is well trained and super sweet. Now the problem....she nips at Otto constantly. I believe it is her herding instinct kicking in. She looks like an alligator literally. She is always at his side nipping at his hind legs and scruff. Unfortunately, Otto has absolutely zero tolerance for it and reacts. We have had several dog fights erupt over this. Normally, we can separate them and we have became really good at anticipating through their body language in time to correct it. We had three fight free days and today it erupted outside. Sadly, Otto ended out with a puncture wound above his eye and she has one on her foreleg. The big problem is he weighs 120 (DDR) and she is a typical American line 60 lbs. But she absolutely will not back down. She will even go into submission only to jump right up and start again. How can we correct the nipping behavior. I do not want to re-home her. She is sweet and I feel could be a great family addition, but I do not want either hurt. Constant separation will not work in our home, however they are never left alone together. With time will this work itself out? Advice please.....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts