German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SO many of you may have seen the thread of my husband and I hoping to rescue Miss Lucy, the Boerboel mix. Well.. she has arrived! She was thrilled with us and hopped willingly into our car. It was really a great meet and greet. Due to circumstances, we were not able to bring Titan to meet Lucy. When we brought them home we I brought Titan out to the street where Lucy was and they met there. Titan was 100% ok with her.. no issue. She, however, started barking at him and snapped at his face. After correcting with a leash pop and a "No!" we went for a walk with them.. They did fine for the most part with only one other attempt by Lucy.. then it was sniffing and new stuff and excitement.

After a good walk, we came back home and went in the yard with them both off leash and they did fine. Followed each other around, peed, sniffed, you know the drill. The foster said that she was not toy possessive or anything like that but loved fetching with the other dogs.. silly me, I thought, well let's see if they can play together.. nothing drastic happened but she did chase behind him and bark the whole way (not too abnormal) but then kept in his face until he dropped the toy then kept barking at him. Well that was dumb of me. Shouldn't have tried that, especially since she didn't particularly like him to begin with. So I realized my mistake and decided to just go inside with them.. show her where she was sleeping, water bowls, etc.

Inside they have been fine. Ignoring one another again. Both drank water. Both got sent to bed for a treat... Titan seems to be avoiding her.. when she gets near him he just walks another way or takes the long way around her if she's laying down. She was turned around and he was sniffing her butt and when she realized she turned sniff him, but I didn't like her posture. She got real still with hackles raised and she just looked like she was going to snap at him again, so I called her name and she broke that posture and nothing happened. right now they are laying down right next to each other. Titan laid down first and she followed and laid about 2 feet from him on her side.

I totally get this is the first night. I am not asking for a quick fix, I just want to make sure I do things right from the beginning (pardoning for the toy things, hind sight 20/20). Initially, she was going to sleep in our room at night with Titan. Their beds are next to each other in the room. There's really no other way to have them. Should I do that or keep her crated at night for a while?

Obviously no alone time for quite sometime. She will be crated during the day while we work and any other time we aren't there. But how about advice on getting them further acquainted? No toys probably at the same time. That seems to rile her up. Walks maybe? I don't need them to be BFFs, I can handle two dogs that aren't besties.. but I would like to not have to worry about them getting into it. Can anyone offer advice on just some things I can do to make this a healthy and good transition for the both of them?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
6,121 Posts
I would crate her at night for a couple of weeks or until you feel she's really settled in and Titan and her are comfortable together.Play with them separately,and stop any hostile appearing posture matter of factly.Separate them with baby gates sometimes to give them their own space to not worry about where the other dog is.You're doing fine!I think the ball playing just threw you off for a minute and now you're second guessing everything.It'll get better,more relaxed,and normal feeling soon:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
If it were me, I would have them kept more separate for at least the first week. Keep the new girl crated at night for sure, and and give her lots of structure during her first couple weeks rather than allowing her to wander and roam around the house. Just have them get used to existing together, without needing to interact much while they both settle in to the new lifestyle, particularly the new girl.

You could take them on walks together and separately if they do well with that, especially if you had someone to come with you and walk one of them while you walked the other so its a really neutral way of being together. Definitely a good idea to not have toys when they're together at first, no need to create that extra element for potential conflict.

I don't see anything worrisome about their interactions on the first day, I think they will settle nicely with a little time to adjust :)

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the advice.. I will keep her crated at night for the first bit until they comfortable with each other. Also picked up all the toys outside (didn't do much since Titan can make a leaf into a toy, as he so did, but you get the point :p ).

So I spoke with the foster mom again just to get a little more info and asked about her play style with the other dogs with a little more detail than just "they get along." She told me she is very vocal and can get a little pushy when she really wants to play. SO I took them outside together after putting the toys up. They both pottied then game on from Lucy. This time instead of being a little anxious, I just kinda let things be.. I was right there in case something escalated but I wanted to trust that she was just trying to play. Sure enough she just wanted to play.. she was wagging and barking and poking.. then when he wouldn't play with her, as predicted she did get a little pushy and I stepped in. Just called her and had her sit for a minute. After a bit she and him just walked around the yard exploring. and when Titan would pick up a stick or a leaf to bring to me, that's when she would get riled up again. So I think she is really just excited. We didn't stay outside but for maybe 10 minutes. We came inside and I fed them both.. they were about 5 or 6 feet from another and both did fine. this is them now.. Titan was there first and she came and laid down next to him.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Best wishes, Whitney.
I know how much you wanted a dog like that, and I know how badly you want this to work.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best wishes, Whitney.
I know how much you wanted a dog like that, and I know how badly you want this to work.
Thank you! I think my problem here is I was totally anticipating a different first interaction.. I figured if anyone would be a problem it would be Titan. I didn't prepare myself for her being a little pushy or anything like that. SO my fault there. But I really do want this to work. She is a very sweet girl.. and still a puppy (18 months). This will just take time and consistency with them both. I have only ever brought puppies (little puppies like 8-12 weeks) in the house to stay never a rescue, so this is new for me too. :eek:

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Yeah, but she's a girl, and she knows it. I was at a vet once, and a female GSD walked by. She pulled on her owner and the leash to get to Hans, sniffed him, then promptly started to let him have it LOL. She was loud!

All Hans did was whine. :rofl: I laughed, because he always yells back at male dogs, if they talk trash to him.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Love the pic of her laying next to Titan. :)

Agree with others, will take a little time and they will settle into a routine with each other.

Congrats!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Thank you! I think my problem here is I was totally anticipating a different first interaction.. I figured if anyone would be a problem it would be Titan. I didn't prepare myself for her being a little pushy or anything like that. SO my fault there. But I really do want this to work. She is a very sweet girl.. and still a puppy (18 months). This will just take time and consistency with them both. I have only ever brought puppies (little puppies like 8-12 weeks) in the house to stay never a rescue, so this is new for me too. :eek:
They are going to be fine once they get used to each other. When I went to get Midnite, Robyn was with me. He came out and was ready to play, she wasn't. She growled and snapped at him. At first I thought well this might not work but the guy told me it will be fine, you'll see. All the way home Robyn stared out the window and every now and then she would give Midnite this disgusted why do you exist look. He didn't even notice, he was so happy to be out of the shelter. Within a week they were inseparable, like they grew up together. It went so much smoother then I thought after that first introduction.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Whitney, congratulations! Lucy looks good, love her colour. Its a good thing you are doing, Deb:D

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys for your advice and stories of encouragement. I'm feeling a bit better now. Recognizing more of her body language and her personality.. obviously it'll take time but I am not as anxious about it.

One other question. We'll be crating her at night for a little while. My husband is worried she'll feel isolated... do you think that'll be the case? I feel it'll help create and set boundaries but hey what do I know. Lol..

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Thank you guys for your advice and stories of encouragement. I'm feeling a bit better now. Recognizing more of her body language and her personality.. obviously it'll take time but I am not as anxious about it.

One other question. We'll be crating her at night for a little while. My husband is worried she'll feel isolated... do you think that'll be the case? I feel it'll help create and set boundaries but hey what do I know. Lol..
She seems to be pretty confident dog. I crated Midnite for a month(most of that time was spent trying to figure out how to keep him from escaping) I felt bad crating him but I wanted to be sure. You will know when it's not needed. It doesn't seem like she needs a two week shut down:)

·
Super Moderator
6,121 Posts
It's safer that way for now.On the off chance they have a disagreement in the middle of the night.Better to be proactive and not have an issue to fix later.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts

Well I believe you're certainly correct in your reasoning.

Is a Crate in the bedroom an option?? And there are those opposed to that also.

Oh ... see the first link here, I just got a rescue:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I never saw your first post, so sorry if this has all been addressed. You HAVE done a lot of research on Boerbels right? They are not your average bully or mastiff.

My friend had one. She was one of my favorite dogs of all time. I love the breed. But they are very different.

Your new girl is certainly very lucky. Take things slow. Have her drag a leash for a while. So you can safely intervene.

Good Luck! Can't wait to see her settle in!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Congratulations Whitney! I love the photo of Titan and Lucy together. It sounds like they just need to get used to each other. Don't stress about how long that will take, just take it day by day and keep an eye on them. One day you will realize that everything is going along just fine. Crating her at night is a very good idea. Good luck with her. :)

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you guys for the great advice. I will admit, we tried her in the room last night.. my husband wanted to try it and I gave in. She was already in a crate in the other room when we made the decision. She did well actually. She paced a little at first.. asking to go outside at first. Then once we settled she found her place and got comfy. I thought she would get up in the middle of the night whenever I did but she didn't. Just stayed in her bed. Titan stayed in his bed also, which is a little odd. Not sure if it was just coincidence but he normally lays by the door after lights out and treats are passed out. I am sure you guys may have disagreed with that decision.. but it was made. Still deciding if it was the right move.. feel free to share you thoughts on that one (negative or not, I can take it)

Today is going to be a quiet day. Hubby is working very late so it's just us. I will feed them in a minute and then in about an hour take them out separately to expend some energy. I have some errands to run so I will crate her while I am gone (not budging on that one, lol). Then when I get home, I am thinking about a walk with the 2 of them.. but haven't completely decided. I know I will have them out in the back again together for a little bit. I am thinking of doing some training games with her.. she needs some manners, lol. but not sure if that's too much too soon..

Something I do have to keep remembering.. (I mean duh, I rescued her for life).. is that she is indeed ours now. I know that sounds weird but I get very protective of Titan and judgey of other dogs manners sometimes.. (jerk GSD owner in me I guess :p ). Normally I just put up with the bad behavior when I watch friends' dogs because in the end, it's not my dog and they won't continue the training anyways. Andi end up being a bit grumpy with friends' dogs sometimes (not nice, I know, I am working on it) I have to just remember that her outcome is my responsibility now and I can change those behaviors, and I can't allow myself to get upset with her when things aren't going perfectly.

I never saw your first post, so sorry if this has all been addressed. You HAVE done a lot of research on Boerbels right? They are not your average bully or mastiff.

My friend had one. She was one of my favorite dogs of all time. I love the breed. But they are very different.

Your new girl is certainly very lucky. Take things slow. Have her drag a leash for a while. So you can safely intervene.

Good Luck! Can't wait to see her settle in!!
I def have done my research. About 4 years ago I actually did my research and purchased one from a breeder. Due to some issues (you can PM me for details on that if you want), she was sent back to the breeder where I was to get a replacement. Due to circumstances and timing, we have not gotten the replacement puppy yet and this girl kinda just fell in our laps. They are certainly a very different personality, lol. Not saying it's going to be easy by any means, but I know (in my head at least, lol) what I am getting into. I am sure she is going to test me and really push my abilities, but I am ready for it (at least that's what I tell myself).

Just one piece of advice: be sure to take them out to play separately. Titan may never like her pushy style of play and it's important that he not feel inhibited by her barking and bullying.
I agree with this and it was my plan. He's never been one for liking pushy play, he's not a huge dog player anyways.. and that doesn't change his mind. Not to mention I need her to get some play time too.. not that she can push me around, but she can more be free playing with out Titan out there right now.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts