German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my initial post for some background information.

Long story short, my parents are letting me take their 1-year 8-month-old GSD (who I am very closely bonded to) home to live with me about 3 hours away on a trial basis. I've never done anything like this before, and I'm very excited (and a little anxious!). I would never want to do anything that would decrease her quality of life or cause her any distress. She's been my world since my parents got her last year, and I'm so excited to bring her home. I want this to be an easy transition for her.

I'm going to keep her routine and environment as similar and familiar as possible. I've ordered the same size crate, similar toys, same type of food, etc. The biggest difference is that I live in a one-bedroom apartment, so that will be an adjustment for both of us. But I'm very active (I run about 30 miles a week and walk at least 3 miles/day). So while she won't have a backyard, I do plan on keeping her active and getting her out of the house much more than she is now. Thankfully, I live in a city with a lot of dog-friendly establishments.

These are my biggest concerns or questions that I'm hoping I can get some insight on from the community:

1. While she's used to being in her crate while my parents are at work, this will be a different environment for her. I have the same size crate and plan to give her a Kong with peanut butter when I leave for work (just like my mom does). I'll have a Wyze cam to monitor her throughout the day. I also work just around the corner from my apartment, so I can come home at least once a day to let her out. Are there any other steps I can take to make the transition easier?
  2. Eventually, I plan to take her to daycare one day each week to give her a change of scenery/time outside of her crate. Should I wait a few weeks before enrolling her?
  3. She's already been through an obedience course, but my parents have not done a great job at reinforcing that training. I plan on enrolling her in another training school locally, but are there any recommended online/print resources that I can use in the meantime?
Any other tips or words of wisdom from others who have brought home a slightly older shepherd would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I'm a little anxious, but I know that I'm ready for this new chapter.

My Leisl girl:
Dog German shepherd dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Congratulations! I would have her adjust to whatever works for you. You can't mimick her previous home anyway. Physical exercise: 30 miles a week, and a 3 mile (leash) walk may not be enough for a young dog. Daily vigorous exercise off leash and brain exercise will be needed a well. She will let you know what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
853 Posts
Congrat! Bring her to your appt on a weekend so you can practice leaving her alone for short periods. Lets you see how she will handle it and lets her know she was not moved and abandoned. Try to bring as many things that are familiar to her, blankets, toys, anything with her scent.

Why not use her current crate?

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
What are your plans if she barks while you're away (apartment)? I'd try and be off for a couple of days while she settles in as well. She's going to miss her old pack for awhile.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations! I would have her adjust to whatever works for you. You can't mimick her previous home anyway. Physical exercise: 30 miles a week, and a 3 mile (leash) walk may not be enough for a young dog. Daily vigorous exercise off leash and brain exercise will be needed a well. She will let you know what works and what doesn't.
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for brain exercises? I ordered one of the great puzzles, but I’m certainly open to doing more.

Congrat! Bring her to your appt on a weekend so you can practice leaving her alone for short periods. Lets you see how she will handle it and lets her know she was not moved and abandoned. Try to bring as many things that are familiar to her, blankets, toys, anything with her scent.

Why not use her current crate?
Thank you! The crate is too large and cumbersome to transport in my vehicle. Plus it will be ready for her when I come home to visit.
What are your plans if she barks while you're away (apartment)? I'd try and be off for a couple of days while she settles in as well. She's going to miss her old pack for awhile.
I’m a little nervous about the barking, but hopefully it will help that she’s used to being in a crate. I’m going to try and work from home for part of the week to ease her into it.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Brain games: hide and seek (searching) with people/toys, treats. Obedience classes, impulse control exercises during fetching etc. Be creative. Just no mindless ball throwing. Puzzles? Too inactive so not for Deja.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice looking dog. I found that Brain games were the most fun for my dog.Give her little jobs to do and she will love it.GSD are the happiest when they are thinking. They are very smart dogs and get bored very easly. I had a pup once that I let out into the yard and he was bored ,so he ended up pulling the telephone wire off the wall. He wasnt mean ,he was just bored. After that I stepped up to giving him attention and exercise. No more tearing up things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts