German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses. As far as I can see, the dogs are all titled, most of them are not imported and their breeding process couldn't be more transparent with videos on Facebook and Instagram. RPD means retried police dog, and their website shows a lot of activity around their work with the SFPD.

I understand the scepticism towards larger breeders, but to be honest I prefer their customer service and provided information over breeders that haven't updated their website since 2001. I am a little perplexed about some of the comments, not sure what their background in cattle farming has to do with their current operation. Most mom/pop breeders I have spoken to have other jobs as well.

Anyways, if someone could please help in reviewing only the pedigree I would highly appreciate it.

this is a very very very commercial kennel producing a large number of puppies....it is a breeder in that sense - but not a breeder in the sense of a person who is a student of the breed. It is a business with employees - quite a few employees...not a breeder who is hands on with every puppy they produce.....

There is always scuttlebutt about these big commercial kennels....we don't cite or repeat any of that info here...but this is a profit oriented business with a product. Think vehicle sales....they want you to buy from them and are expert in sales PR. I have seen a few young dogs from KK....none of which I would have bought or been happy to have produced.

I also have some experience with some of the bloodlines in this litter. Through friends dogs, and a dog I personally imported. And through litters I bred with some common bloodlines. I sincerely would say that I would NOT expect to get the strength of hunt drive and ability needed for a "real" SAR dog.....I have produced - out of my own 3-5 generations of breeding dogs - pups who are certified and on active SAR teams. I also am producing dogs with terrific hunt drive and natural tracking ability - no withholding food to make my dogs track! I understand where that is coming from in my pedigrees, and where it is not present in the pedigrees you are citiing. IMO - commercial breedig is breeding for extreme drive without balance and understanding, without experience raising and training generations of a family but obviously with awareness of popular names, reliance on trial results and marketing.

Lee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks @Berno, the breeder actually told me they will apply the Volhard method. This is super helpful to see the document though. thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm certainly no expert and this won't be helpful. But if you post ped links, I can't resist.
Found a couple of wild ones way WAY back there.

SZ 48918 (kelpie? pinscher? terrier?)

SZ 368 :oops: dutch? hyena?

SZ 1710 could that perhaps be a photo of el capitan?

None of the above "unique ancestors" exert any tangible influence on the ped in question. Think of these as "cave paintings" depicting the breed's origins.

·
Banned
43 Posts
[Please note that this topic has been moved to Bloodlines & Pedigree and the poster is seeking input on the pedigree of the litter listed below.]

Hi all,

I have been in contact with a breeder and they have so far been outstanding, extremely helpful and have assisted in finding the right dog for me.

I wanted to get expert advice on the the litter below, the breeder will soon pick out the most suitable puppy from the litter. My plan is to use the dog for avalanche rescue training, mountain guiding and potentially IPO1. I prefer a high drive and a dog that is not afraid of new situations. Visually I want a heavy-boned dog, blocky and large face. I have little experience with titles, DNA and line breeding and was looking to you for some help.

Vello x Rue (first litter from top)
or
SIRE // Pedigree Database
DAM

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Thank you,
S
If I read the pedigree right, this looks like a litter that was breed by someone who pays attention to male-line breeding.

It appears, that Vello's sire line is the 4th bloodline going back to Utz vom haus shutting. Further the dam of Vello is also line 4.

Rue's sire line is 4th bloodline as well and dam is line 3.

Just from the male bloodlines I would say this litter will be fairly consistent, produce super natural protection, early working, very good tracking, square dogs, and some may also have a genetic propensity for handler aggression.

This litter may also produce naturally civil dogs sometimes referred to as Type 1 dogs that don't require training to bite.

I personally love the traits of line 4.

Now, whether or not this a suitable breeding for your requirements is another story.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’ve been on a ped kick for a couple weeks now. When you see wall to wall performance 3’s, you pretty well know a ped is going to take you back to all the usual suspects. After awhile it’s like meat and potatoes. At this point I find myself more drawn to whatever unique ancestor photos a given ped has to offer.

Not sure, but I think SHSB might be swiss?

I find the dam’s ped refreshingly diverse. There again no shortage of performance titles behind the maternal grandsire's line (usual suspects). Aside from that I see “OFA excellent," guide dog breeding stock, and a nice little trail to outbreeding, all the way down there at the bottom, where many believe (myself included) it belongs.

There’s a wide variety of traits in every litter. SAR instructors and experienced handlers will be more knowledgeable and forthcoming about what to look for in a SAR candidate, rather than breeders.

Fun ped! I've enjoyed looking at it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts