German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
[Please note that this topic has been moved to Bloodlines & Pedigree and the poster is seeking input on the pedigree of the litter listed below.]

Hi all,

I have been in contact with a breeder and they have so far been outstanding, extremely helpful and have assisted in finding the right dog for me.

I wanted to get expert advice on the the litter below, the breeder will soon pick out the most suitable puppy from the litter. My plan is to use the dog for avalanche rescue training, mountain guiding and potentially IPO1. I prefer a high drive and a dog that is not afraid of new situations. Visually I want a heavy-boned dog, blocky and large face. I have little experience with titles, DNA and line breeding and was looking to you for some help.

Vello x Rue (first litter from top)
or
SIRE // Pedigree Database
DAM

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Thank you,
S

·
Registered
182 Posts
There are several concerns for me. It appears their background is in cattle. Cattle can be mass farmed, but GSD'S should not be. Way to many dogs for breeding and current litters for me. I like smaller breeders. They appear to import and then breed. Nothing wrong with that, but most breeders do that small scale and with reference to bettering their breeding program.

Three big passes for me:
1. They breed dogs for police. Where are these dogs and their police handlers as proof? They should be showing these as brags or proof of quality. Titles they have put on dogs themselves?

2. Language used in site is worrisome pertaining to protection, guard, police dogs section. Also, how are guard and protection dogs ready "for immediate " delivery? Is there screening of homes?

3. In their video tour, why are they not showing the puppies in the breeding area? Even if the mother was not at her best, you should still show the pups rushing up to the video. HUGH marketing opportunity and emotional manipulation of buyers. This is not even ATTEMPTED to be staged.

What I see and don't see would tell me this breeder is not the right one for me. Some of these things may be able to be cleared up visiting there, but I feel based on your other posts, this may not be a breeder for SAR if that is what you want.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
Are you part of a rescue team? If so, I would be talking to them about potential working prospects. If you are not a member of a team, I would find one first before getting the dog.

If your interest is in IPO/IGP, I would look for a breeder that actually has dogs out there being titled and/or is titling dogs themselves.

Something to keep in mind, not all SAR teams allow their search dogs to have "protection" training and that includes IPO/IGP. You will probably have to decide which of these areas you want to pursue depending on where you live.

I tend to prefer smaller breeders that are actively working/titling their breeding stock and not just importing and/or making puppies. I, personally, would keep looking.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I suggest you search for this kennel within this website. There have been a couple threads that can provide information on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your responses. As far as I can see, the dogs are all titled, most of them are not imported and their breeding process couldn't be more transparent with videos on Facebook and Instagram. RPD means retried police dog, and their website shows a lot of activity around their work with the SFPD.

I understand the scepticism towards larger breeders, but to be honest I prefer their customer service and provided information over breeders that haven't updated their website since 2001. I am a little perplexed about some of the comments, not sure what their background in cattle farming has to do with their current operation. Most mom/pop breeders I have spoken to have other jobs as well.

Anyways, if someone could please help in reviewing only the pedigree I would highly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses. As far as I can see, the dogs are all titled, most of them are not imported and their breeding process couldn't be more transparent with videos on Facebook and Instagram. RPD means retried police dog, and their website shows a lot of activity around their work with the SFPD.

I understand the scepticism towards larger breeders, but to be honest I prefer their customer service and provided information over breeders that haven't updated their website since 2001. I am a little perplexed about some of the comments, not sure what their background in cattle farming has to do with their current operation. Most mom/pop breeders I have spoken to have other jobs as well.

Anyways, if someone could please help in reviewing only the pedigree I would highly appreciate it.
When you deal with large police depts, you have to have a pretty decent supply of dogs. Maybe they're good, maybe they wash and need to be replaced on demand. The cattle thing has to do with the founder citing that background for his knowledge in genetics. On the sire's side, I see Stadtfeld a few times. I've seen people post that they like that name. I see some recognizable names on the bottom half of the dam's side, others may know some of the names on the top half. Are you local? Can you go see the dogs for yourself?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you deal with large police depts, you have to have a pretty decent supply of dogs. Maybe they're good, maybe they wash and need to be replaced on demand. The cattle thing has to do with the founder citing that background for his knowledge in genetics. On the sire's side, I see Stadtfeld a few times. I've seen people post that they like that name. I see some recognizable names on the bottom half of the dam's side, others may know some of the names on the top half. Are you local? Can you go see the dogs for yourself?
Thanks @Steve Strom, indeed they are often mentioned as one of the best breeders in California. I was in touch with a few others but they have no litters coming up in the next 6 months. I am planning to drive there soon to see the dogs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks @Steve Strom. We spent a lot of time discussing my needs. Initially I was more interested in this pup but it didnt match the drive I want.

Could you, if you have time, explain me the importance of line breeding? The stud of the littler we chose is this boy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are you part of a rescue team? If so, I would be talking to them about potential working prospects. If you are not a member of a team, I would find one first before getting the dog.
I think this is the best advice posted so far in this thread. I am sure your local SAR team can point you in the right direction for breeders and the extensive training you would need to undertake with the pup.

To your point about breeders updating their sites, I guess it depends on the breeder. Some update on Facebook more than their website. One of the breeders near me who is probably one of the best in the country for working and selectively producing her dogs, rarely updates her Facebook. Another high level breeder is more active on Facebook, but updates her website when she has a litter. She also has a private one as many breeders do for their puppy families.

I don't have any contacts in CA to help you look into breeders or people who train police dogs there. If you are really serious about finding a dog and want to get one from an organization/breeder/trainer who supplies police or military dogs, then I suggest you compare them to the site below. I do not personally know Greg, but have met some of his dogs that are working in the field. Perhaps if you email him, he can give you a recommendation on a breeder or trainer or SAR club to contact in CA for more help.

·
Super Moderator
6,702 Posts
OP, i believe that the section you chose to post, the title of the thread and the content of your first post may have lead to some confusion and the responses you’ve received not being specifically what you’re looking for. it’s fine, it happens... i would offer to edit and move your post to the Bloodline & Pedigree section but i think some good information has been provided in the thread as is.

just an observation.

best of luck to you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP, i believe that the section you chose to post, the title of the thread and the content of your first post may have lead to some confusion and the responses you’ve received not being specifically what you’re looking for. it’s fine, it happens... i would offer to edit and move your post to the Bloodline & Pedigree section but i think some good information has been provided in the thread as is.

just an observation.

best of luck to you!
Thanks @Fodder sent you a PM

1 - 20 of 26 Posts