German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of thank everyone for such support and well wishes, it really helps. I need some advice- should I give him some kind of supplement, like vitamin C? Also, I'm trying not to baby him too much because I don't want his personality to change or have him be fearful because of this incident- should I just treat him like normal? His eyesight is so poor right now that he's hesitant to do much or go very far from my side which is understandable for now but I don't want him to become clingy. He's 11 mos now, had a ton of confidence and I don't want that to change. Will he?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would cling to the advise of your vet until Stosh is outta danger ... high risk of infection would be my prime concern. Stosh seems like a REAL Trooper to have suffered such a traumatic and unwarranted incident !!!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I don't know how you could NOT baby poor Stosh. At least that's how it would go for me. I think if you do as Stogey advises, stick with exactly what your vet says to do, and then beyond that let Stosh let you know what he's ready for. If his eyesight is poor, and he's not ready to leave your side, I'd let him be. See how he is in another week or two. It's still so very early in his recovery.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I'm thinking too far ahead. He's spending most of his time dozing although he walked to the mailbox with me twice today and that wore him out.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Another vote for babying Stosh. Go ahead - Don't do it for him. Do it for you. It will do you both a world of good. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Big Hugs to all,
Jan

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I checked with Allie. She stated at such a traumatic time, the pup should sleep on the bed at all times with a pillow and comforter-preferably stuffed goosedown. Meals ideally should be delivered on silver or china, although a clean plate will do in a pinch. Steak, liver, heart, eggs, cottage cheese and flavored water twice a day should be delivered. Tummys should be rubbed regularly, and ear scratchings supplied on an hourly basis-please wash your hands first.

The cat must be kept out of the room at all times, of course.

Jelpy and the mesquite mafia

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'll take Allie's advice!! He's about to receive his first visitor, his favorite trainer is coming over to check on him. I'm sure she'll bring him a nice treat

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd advise you to baby Stosh, too. While Olina was terribly sick with her Zygo, I babied her to death. I felt she needed that attention to help her heal. But I also took her on long walks and let her play with her friends as though nothing was wrong.

She was always a trooper even while really sick. And now that she is getting better slowly but surely, she has become more and more confident about her health. There is no sign of her being "clingy" at all. Like Stosh, she can't wait to get back to business! I am sure Stosh will be the same dog he was prior to this horrible incident once he is completely healed. These GSDs are so amazing and stalwart.
So please give him a big hug for me! :)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like it's unanimous! I'll continue babying until it starts driving him nuts.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Think of it this way.... he's a baby and what do we do when our kids dont feel good or are hurt? We smother then with love and attention until they're sick of us and no longer sick or hurt. I am all for the baby him side of this! He deserves it. I also asked Shasta, Shelby and Riley what they think and they're in agreement on nice comfy bed with a nice comfy pillow and DEFINITELY some steak a minimum of once a day along with some scrambled eggs (Riley says scrambled but the girls are fine with raw eggs) and some french toast with a teeny tiny bit of syrup. Shelby says some apples and bananas fed by a personal assitant would be fabulous for his recovery as well.... possibly with some peanut butter treats along the way....

Point is, he's your baby so baby him. He needs it right now. he'll let you know when he's had enough and if he's wanting to stay close by, dont stop him. I'd be nervous too if my eyesight wasnt so hot at the moment.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Poor Stosh, what a terrible thing to have had happen.

I would certainly let him cling as much as needed and provide loving support and care. He will recover mentally at his own pace, and if you see mental issues linger, I would consult a homeopathic vet.

Nutritional support is never a bad thing. Vitamin C supports the immune system in general. I have always like the Missing Link products if there are no allergies. For years I have used Vetriscience's Canine Plus with good results.

I didn't catch if there was still a bullet somewhere. I might be concerned about metal poisoning if so.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Poor Stosh, what a terrible thing to have had happen.

I would certainly let him cling as much as needed and provide loving support and care. He will recover mentally at his own pace, and if you see mental issues linger, I would consult a homeopathic vet.

Nutritional support is never a bad thing. Vitamin C supports the immune system in general. I have always like the Missing Link products if there are no allergies. For years I have used Vetriscience's Canine Plus with good results.

I didn't catch if there was still a bullet somewhere. I might be concerned about metal poisoning if so.

in her other thread she said the vet decided it was a thru and thru because they know the bullet entered through his jaw and there was a bullet wound on his shoulder opposite i believe. Hope that helps some!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is no bullet- it entered under his left eye and exited the right side of his neck. He's on an oral antibiotic and an antibiotic eye drop. I'll keep up the spoiling- he comes over often for reassurance. He lost a lot of blood so he's mostly dozing during the day. I think a scrambled egg breakfast is just what he needs. Thanks everybody! I'll read all the posts to him

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Another vote to pamper! If one of my furkids was hurt, that's what they would get. I believe that with the pampering, they will heal mentally and emotionally and the comfort of your love will do him good.

I can;t imagine going through any of this so please be sure to pamper yourself too!!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I'm really sorry this happened to your boy-I just read your previous thread. I'm very happy to hear he's on the mend:)

I would think with his eye being injured-he's feeling a little vulnerable & not as confident. Eyes, ears, scent are a huge part of his everyday life-to have one not working right now 100% is I'm sure is throwing him off.

I say let him cling to you and continue to build his confidence back up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts