German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 11mo old and we use a crate at night, an ex-pen sporadically on weekends to build separation acceptance (and allow us to do some hse chores) and a kennel during the day while we are at work. Unfortunately we both have to work until the lotto picks come through so she is kenneled M-F 7-4. Before and after work, we play with her and have lightly started training, etc. She handles the crate at night perfectly now, sleeps all night and does great in the ex-pen for durations as we pop in and out of sight.

We both took a week off to slowly acclimate her for the day long stint in her kennel and she does really good but today was the first full day and when we got home she was crying like crazy. We waited about 30min for her to stop crying before we went out to get her. I understand she is young, lonely, misses us, is bored, etc but we must work to pay the mortgage, afford SchH training, etc :)

I bought a radio to try tomrrow, have some indestructable for her age toys, leave water and feed a middle meal by a timed feeder....she has evertything to safely get through the day. How can I help accelerate her acceptance to this situation and reduce her crying and howling?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
that's a really long day for an 11 week old alone:(

Can you get someone in during the day to take her out and exercise her for awhile?

Even my adults (tho many do fine that long) would be going bonkers that long in a crate.

See if you have some school kid in the area who'd be willing to come over after school and get her out and about for some interaction/play/potty break/exercise.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Baby baby! So you'll need some time and patience.

Big thing is to keep the crate in your bedroom at night to keep the crate a good place.

And EXERCISE that pup and keep it OUT of the crate when you are home. Use closed doors and baby gates for control and to help housebreaking. The crate only for at night and when you are gone and can't be there to pay attention/teach/TRAIN.

Car rides, off leash romps, socialization, exercise, puppy classes. Hours of one on one with the puppy each day when you DO get home to mentally challenge, stimulate and wear out your pup. So they crawl into the crate exhausted and SLEEP!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its a covered kennel with a insulated dog house.(not a crate) She is only crated at night and does great. But like my boyfriend said we both have to work and are to far away to go by in the afternoon so have no choice but to kennel her during the day. Just looking for tips to try and make it easier for her. Unfortunatly no stay at home friends to stop by for us. Everyone works. :( My hours can be odd (work in hospital) so sometimes get home early but for the most part has to be in there from about. 6:30 to 4pm but plenty of room for her to play

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
We both took a week off to slowly acclimate her for the day long stint in her kennel and she does really good but today was the first full day and when we got home she was crying like crazy. We waited about 30min for her to stop crying before we went out to get her. I understand she is young, lonely, misses us, is bored, etc but we must work to pay the mortgage, afford SchH training, etc :)
If I understand this correctly, she was crated all day and was crying when you got home. Because she was crying you left her crated until she was quiet and then let her out.

If this is true - most likely she was crying because she really, really had to go and wanted out so she could do her business. Or she had already done her business (in her crate) and was crying to get out of the mess.

Next time, when you get home go straight to her kennel, don't talk to her, don't talk to each other, don't act happy, don't act mad. Even if she is screaming her lungs out, just scoop her up and take her right outside to do her business. Don't give her a chance to run around the house or find something to play with, scoop her right up and take her out. The moment she does her business THEN throw her a party! Then give her love! Then get her excited.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You could try feeding her meals in interactive toys so she has stuff to do during the day. Once she gets good at that you can do things to make it harder like freezing the food in the toy. I use the everlasting fun ball (green one) and kongs if I am freezing the food. I also have a bob-a-lot and the kong version of that toy. They are hard plastic though so easier to destroy if left with a dog. I am lucky none of my dogs will bother with the toys once the food is out if they are in the crate. Just don't leave her with things she might destroy and try to ingest.

The best would be some sort of automatic dispenser that you could get a few toys ready and it would drop them throughout the day. I want to say this has actually been created but I am not sure where.

I think the hiring a dog walker would be really good for her also. Or at her age even just someone to play with her for a break in the day.

It sounds like people are confusing crate with kennel. I think the poster meant she is in an outdoor run in the yard.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it makes her day so long, but I dont know how to break it up since we both work too far to get home at lunch and if we did, after drive time, she'd only get attn for 10-15min tops which I thought might be worse...like a hi-bye teasing.

The kennel is 8'x20' and roofed, has an insulated home-made dog house, a potty box with sod in it, has a concrete pad but topped with cattle pads, etc. I really spent time and effort prepping the past year for her so it would be as comfortable as possible while keeping her safe from herself and objects. I realize this doesnt repalce interaction and we dont have a perfect scenario but we make huge efforts to counter-balance the work isolation.

She's only crated at night and we pretty much devote our home time and weekends to her. She is only ex-pen'd for short durations on the weekend so I can mow the lawn or put up her solar kennel lights, etc. I also thought it might help to teach her just because we are out of sight for a bit, we'll always come back.

She's started becoming a picky eater after we started engagement training (which was/is working great) so we backed off that and training treats so she'd eat meals. I have a ton of treat puzzles but wasnt expecting her to become picky and hinder meals so we've had to temporarily stop. We play, started rag tugging, chase, go for walks, brief jogs, "critter-around", car trips, people parks, etc. She gets her last shots this coming weekend so that will open up more places and classes start Saturday (we wont do dog parks tho).

What other stimulus can I try? Or what other items might "entertain" her or make the time more bearable?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bratt and wuneyewilly are both us, we're both responding on here just to clarify :)

If I understand this correctly, she was crated all day and was crying when you got home. Because she was crying you left her crated until she was quiet and then let her out.

Next time, when you get home go straight to her kennel, don't talk to her, don't talk to each other, don't act happy, don't act mad.
We use the crate at night, but a real dog kennel in the day. She has a potty box she gladly uses to relieve herself. I definitely wouldnt make her hold it all day. She just gets wound up from isolation and boredom, again completely understandable but currently unalterable due to work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts