German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where to put this silly question so here it is.
I was feeding the girls raw liver and they are usually very gentle but tonight Palla got too excited and mistook my finger for the liver.
So I put it in the cold water to wash it, then I poured on some peroxide then I soaked it for at least 25 mins.in Dettol. Now I have it bandaged up with some ozenol ointment on it.
Any one got any other ideas? I don't want this to get infected and have to see a Dr.
It broke skin,I think it made contact with the bone (at least it feels that way right now, I'll know better be tomorrow) Palla I'm sure by her reaction (and mine!) knows that she did wrong, that Im sure of.
She is right up to date on all shots.
This is embarassing! Anybody else get there finger in the way? lol

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
You don't even want to know how often I get nailed by my dogs, generally when a toy is involved, but sometimes treats.

I do what you do clean it out as best I can, then keep and eye on it. If you don't need stitches and it doesn't get infected, you'll be fine (or at least I still am).

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh good, I'm not alone! Actually, I didn't mention that earlier this evening, DH was bending over to straighten up some potted plants when the dogs came flying around the corner. Palla took a short cut and jumped over the plants. POW! She rammed my DH pop can that he was holding up into his eye. He will be sporting a black eye to work tomorrow.
I'm going to have to change Palla's name to Dennis the Menace!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I got a really bad bite from a foster who mistook my hand for his stick. Someone told me to buy some betadine (I was at the dog park when it happened and surveyed the other people there) because that's what they had been treated with when they went to the ER with a dog bite! So I used that and it was fine.

Rafi currently has a burst abscess in his back so there's a hole there and I used tea tree oil on that earlier today and it's looking really good. So there's another option.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: SashaPupYou got the german alligator treatment! ....
I like that one!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>I have permanent floaters in my eye from when I taught her to shake, I have had bruises from where she "play" bit me as a pup, and 2 fat lips and a bruise on my face from agility. Not a good idea to bend down and kiss your dog when they finish their run. Sasha has a figerative and literal hard head. Hubby use to get the German alligator treatment until he taught her the easy command

BTW my dogs also have their own signature wrestling moves they use on one another. Sasha has the Blitzkreg and Sampson has the Shar-pei sideswipe and the Chinese Check! </span>

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
oh sandra, sandra...don't want to scare you but...i just got out of the hospital last friday...a week ago sunday night my sera-girl and miss jeni had a little altercation (man i am so careful, but dh is having some memory problems from the motor vehicle accident he had not too long ago, and sometimes forgets which pack is where), and i got a tiny little laceration next to my thumb...i cleaned it really, really good, it looked like NOTHING, and looked that way for three days...then when i got up on wednesday at 11am the back of my hand began to swell and was kinda red, by 6pm it had become incredibly painful, i looked like "lobster claw girl", headed to the ER, spent two days in the hospital, had four bags of IV antibiotics pumped into me. at the point where they explained to me that they might have to open up my hand and "flush the bacteria out" (ps, this is UofM, so i took them very seriously), i took the shot of morphine they offered, which pretty much took care of the anxiety, and made me not care so much about the pain. an incredibly frightening experience.

SO, i would only say to you be very, very vigilant and watch closely for any sign of redness, swelling, and heat...and at the VERY FIRST SIGN IMMEDIATELY SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION. unfortunately by the time those symptoms appear you can usually only be treated with IV antibiotics, so if you want to stay out of the hospital you might want to take pre-emptive action and do a course of prophylactic (preventative) oral antibiotics, it's best to go to the doc and get those now, BEFORE infection sets in (of course, as everyone else has posted, there might never BE an infection).

just wanted to share my experience, which took me COMPLETELY by surprise. i had no idea things could go south so FAST.

take good care,
katherine

·
Registered
340 Posts
When a Boxer tried to attack my dog in a pet store, my hand was right in between the two dogs and I ended up with punctures on my left index and ring fingers. After the people at the store patched me up, I headed over to the hospital and they cleaned it out and used a skin glue to glue the flap of flesh back on my index finger..

I also needed a tetanus shot as those only last every 10 years. katieliz's advice is correct on watching it for any signs of infection as oral antibiotics will not be very effective once infection has set in.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
yes, i had the tetanus shot too...forgot about that.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes! Thanks for the advice and I'm really sorry to hear the bad news Katie.

I'm nervous about reporting anything to the DR. They treat all dog bites as just that , a dog bite and it goes on her record.

Plus they have to notify the health department and it goes on their record and they have to come down and inspect the dog and quarentine her for ten days (I think it's ten?)

Then Palla will always have a rap sheet on her.
My insurance will go up because she has bitten and because of her being a GSD.

Almost better to cut my finger off and save a lot of problems.lol

OH! and I forgot, last spring, Palla wasn't feeling good at the vet and snaped her teeth in the air. (She does that when she's unsure or impatient) the vet wrote her up as a biter! Ever tried to get a vet to take something off the chart once they put it on?

So I'll keep a close eye on it and hope that it's ok. I did spread the wound open to let it bleed and get it flushed out. I hope I didn't get more germs in then out!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote:I'm nervous about reporting anything to the DR. They treat all dog bites as just that , a dog bite and it goes on her record.
You do have to be careful about reporting what happened. It seems like generally 'a dog bite is a dog bite is a dog bite' and circumstances don't seem to be considered. Once your dog is labeled a 'dangerous dog' I think it's forever.

But that doesn't mean avoid the Dr if there is ANY problem. Any wound can get very serious and can't be ignored. But I've alway healed well and fast from my bouts with dog teeth, so hopefully it's the same for you.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
One of my SAR teammates got nailed by her dog in the hand at a training--it definately needed stitches. She went to the hospital and didnt think about what would happen if she told them it was a dog bite--so she did. She got a call from AC a few days later looking for info on her dog. I assume there is a record, but nothing else happened.

We all decided at that point that if the same happened to any of us, the official story was that we got caught on barbed wire......That's gonna be my story and I will stick to it!!!!!(they cant prove otherwise......)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I was going to say to make something up that it was a stray dog or something but then I guess they'd make you get rabies shots which is no fun either.

ETA: I've been bitten a number of times at work (dog groomer) and all my bites have healed OK. My old boss's old school remedy was to mix epsom salt with boiling water and let it cool just enough so you can barely stand the heat and soak your bite in it. I've done this a few times, its hard to say if it helps or not but it seems to.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
i thought about that too. i was "playing ball and slammed my hand into the dog's mouth", which seemed reasonable since the injury was so small. i'll tell you, it was a totally frightening situation.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You might think about getting some oral antibiotics from your doctor now. I've had my share of cuts from dog misbites, but if it goes all the way to the bone....better chance of an infection. And I've seen some nasty infections.

You could just tell a doctor that you got bit by a dog while you were out walking/whatever....that the owner said the dog was up to date on all shots...but that you don't personally know the owner or have any of their info, etc. I'd never ever admit that it was my dog that bit me. It's not like they can track down a random stranger who you've never met before anyway - just give a vague description and tell them it was a poodle

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally Posted By: cafrheOne of my SAR teammates got nailed by her dog in the hand at a training--it definately needed stitches. She went to the hospital and didnt think about what would happen if she told them it was a dog bite--so she did. She got a call from AC a few days later looking for info on her dog. I assume there is a record, but nothing else happened.

We all decided at that point that if the same happened to any of us, the official story was that we got caught on barbed wire......That's gonna be my story and I will stick to it!!!!!(they cant prove otherwise......)
I really like the idea of barbed wire. Hopefully I won't have to check out the theory!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
yup, got the oral ab's upon discharge from the hospital. whoa, couple of weeks worth. hard on the stomach. off to whole foods to get probiotics!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts