German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this started out harmlessly enough. There is an adorable little girl that lives on my street, along the route where I normally walk Gabe. She is about 4...I think? I don't know, I'm awful with kids.

In any case, while I was walking Gabe, she watched us the first few times. She has never actually spoken to me, but eventually, she came to the end of her driveway when we went by. I smiled and kept walking.

One time, her brother stopped us and asked if she could pet Gabe, saying she really likes to pet the dogs that pass by. I said that would be fine. I had him sit, and she petted him. I was really surprised when he didn't act, but growled a really low growl. I told her we needed to go, and continued with our walk.

Now, this little girl approached us on our next walk, and I stopped to say hello to her....and she grinned gleefully, and threw the handful of gravel she had been hiding behind her back at Gabe's face, saying "bad dog!".

Now, I was horrified, and I snapped a little, saying something like, "DON'T DO THAT!" and immediately led him away. But this little girl has taken to following us on our walks. If she sees us leaving, she follows and tries to throw rocks at Gabe.

I've told her to stop, I've told her brother to take her inside, and I've told her parents to keep her away from me and my dog...but they just sit in their lawnchairs on their driveway and watch silently. Apparently, in their mind having a "mean dog" invites this sort of response, and I "shouldn't keep a mean dog".

Basically, I know what I could do if this was an adult or a misbehaving dog, but what do you do when a little kid is acting this way and no one will stop her?

Side note: I think she is mentally handicapped, which might be the cause of some overindulgence from her parents. But still... And I mean, if she's doing this to me and Gabe, what if she does this to other dogs, too?

Also, I'm not letting her hit him. Now that I know what she's up to, I can prevent her from actually hurting him, but this really has me upset.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
oh boy. my reaction to her parents wouldn't be appropriate in front of children. Is it possible to walk a different way?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so, the little girl is challenged and you can't figure out what to
do? how about walking in another direction or walking across
the street and we'll take it from there.
Like I said, she follows us. If she sees us leave my house, she follows us.

oh boy. my reaction to her parents wouldn't be appropriate in front of children. Is it possible to walk a different way?
Unfortunately, you can see my house from hers, and she seems to always be outside.
When I get aggressive with her parents, they pretend that they don't understand my English.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
ok why should she "have" to walk a different direction?

Challenged or not, parents have some responsibility in trying to teach their kids good manners. Sounds like the parents are just sitting there letting her do it?

That would P me off BIG TIME! If she did it one more time, and the parents saw it, I would be telling the parents that either they teach their child to NOT throw ROCKS at ANYTHING or your going to call AC and have them come over and educate them.

I had a neighbor with a couple of kids, years ago, they liked to come over and play with Jake (my then GSD), which was fine, if the girls did something I felt was inappropriate they were not allowed to come over per ME..Once they did something, forget what it was, told them to go home, they weren't allowed to play with Jake, well they stood across the street behind some bushes, throwing rocks, making weird noises , basically trying to 'tease' Jake, who was lounging in the front yard ..

Good thing Jake was the neighborhood babysitter, you could have done just about anything to him, and he'd take it with a grin and a wag..

Sorry I went ballistic, teasing adog, throwing rocks, does NOT jive with me at all. The parents were idiots, so I called AC who went over them and gave them a little "education" told them if it happened again, big trouble..They also told me to either take pictures or camcord it...

So that might be an option, take a camera, next time the kid does something, take a picture:) That may get the parents up out of their loungers and do something.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I feel your pain. I have an autistic boy 2 doors down from me and his mother's method of dealing with him is shoving him outside and shutting the door. I caught him more then once throwing rocks at my dogs when they were in their outdoor kennel. Dizan, my male who was actually people friendly, hated that kid. I quit leaving them out when I wasn't there. I got mad and threatened to tell his mom which meant nothing to him. I did find out he was afraid of the police though. I would call the police and all I got was he's autistic. He can't help it. As he grew, his stupid mother couldn't handle him anymore and he was institutionalized. (as if she ever could) Dizan died last October at 14. He was the last of my older GSDs I now have Jasira, 1 year old, and Xerxes 4 months. I hope he never comes back for the sake of my dogs but for his sake too. He does well in the structured environment he is in now. His stupid mother whines she doesn't get near enough money to live on now. ( Get off your stupid dead ass and get a job like the rest of us.)
Not sure what to tell you. Have you tried the police? Maybe they are more proactive then the silly ones around here.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think maybe I'll see if I can get my sister to videotape our next walk...see if I can get something on camera for the police/AC.

Maybe, if I'm lucky, the parents will be more inclined to do something if they know she's on film. I won't get my hopes up, but maybe...

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
because it's an easy solution.

>>>> ok why should she "have" to walk a different direction? <<<<

Challenged or not, parents have some responsibility in trying to teach their kids good manners. Sounds like the parents are just sitting there letting her do it?

That would P me off BIG TIME! If she did it one more time, and the parents saw it, I would be telling the parents that either they teach their child to NOT throw ROCKS at ANYTHING or your going to call AC and have them come over and educate them.

I had a neighbor with a couple of kids, years ago, they liked to come over and play with Jake (my then GSD), which was fine, if the girls did something I felt was inappropriate they were not allowed to come over per ME..Once they did something, forget what it was, told them to go home, they weren't allowed to play with Jake, well they stood across the street behind some bushes, throwing rocks, making weird noises , basically trying to 'tease' Jake, who was lounging in the front yard ..

Good thing Jake was the neighborhood babysitter, you could have done just about anything to him, and he'd take it with a grin and a wag..

Sorry I went ballistic, teasing adog, throwing rocks, does NOT jive with me at all. The parents were idiots, so I called AC who went over them and gave them a little "education" told them if it happened again, big trouble..They also told me to either take pictures or camcord it...

So that might be an option, take a camera, next time the kid does something, take a picture:) That may get the parents up out of their loungers and do something.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Sorry to be the alarmist here, but I'd call the police. You have made an effort to be nice and explain that this is not appropriate. I would consider it some form of assault and/or neglect on behalf of the parent. Get a report on file so if there is ever an issue than you have something to back up your side. You could also make a show of filming the behavior, so you have some way to prove what is happening.
I have 2 kids and both of mine were taught to respect their elders and other living beings (be it dogs or earthworms, I made no distinction). Since the parents aren't doing their job, it is now your job to protect your dog and yourself for that matter!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get a report on file so if there is ever an issue than you have something to back up your side. You could also make a show of filming the behavior, so you have some way to prove what is happening.
I'll probably do both of these. I was reluctant to call the police on a little girl, but at the very least, I could go to the station and file a report...

·
Registered
479 Posts
How about just a firm stay away to or stay back to the child and if possible walk on the other side of the street. I want my puppy to be socialized with children
N as well as adults, but I will not put up with any one any age teasing her.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sorry to be the alarmist here, but I'd call the police. You have made an effort to be nice and explain that this is not appropriate. I would consider it some form of assault and/or neglect on behalf of the parent. Get a report on file so if there is ever an issue than you have something to back up your side. You could also make a show of filming the behavior, so you have some way to prove what is happening.
I have 2 kids and both of mine were taught to respect their elders and other living beings (be it dogs or earthworms, I made no distinction). Since the parents aren't doing their job, it is now your job to protect your dog and yourself for that matter!
agreed 100%

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would get anything you can on camera/video. Sadly I think that if he bites her you would still be responsible. I have a little girl that runs at the dogs when they are outside. She don't throw rocks, but since I've told her she needs to be careful, she now rides her bike(almost right over them). Mine all look at her like she's crazy but there will be a dog that doesn't like it and she will get bit...I'm just waiting for it to happen:(

·
Registered
646 Posts
i honestly believe calling the police would get the parents attention..and they would hopefully get off their butts and stop their child..and if their child is mentally handicapped at age 4 or so and being allowed to follow you on your walks i would also call child protective services

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
i honestly believe calling the police would get the parents attention..and they would hopefully get off their butts and stop their child..and if their child is mentally handicapped at age 4 or so and being allowed to follow you on your walks i would also call child protective services
Child protective services might not be a bad idea, who lets a child that age walk around the neighborhood unattended? Are you crossing any streets on your walks with her following?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Call the police and call child protective services. These adults are allowing, even encouraging, a child to put itself in a very dangerous position. Don't wait until something bad happens to the girl or to your dog. Call the authorities Monday morning. These folks obviously lack the intelligence to protect the child so it lands on you to do it. It may sound harsh, but it is the best decision you have available.

·
Registered
646 Posts
the nice thing about child protective services is you can call and not have to give your name or address and they will come out within a day or two usually..i would calll and tell them you are worried because this little is unsupervised and out of their property alot

1 - 20 of 44 Posts