German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD is right at 6 months old right now and I have been waiting for her to grow into a little more confidence and act less skittish towards strangers, both dogs and people. But I am starting to think it's just in her genes, I got her from nice backyard breeders (now I know) at 7 weeks and she never has had a traumatic experience, and would like to help build her confidence as much as possible. In the 4 months I have had her I have taken her out in public multiple times a week, large sporting events to meet crowds, puppy obedience class, and dog parks. She shows some signs of improvement then a little dog at a dog park will want to play chase with her and she will pee and regress a little. Basically I'm just looking for pointers on how to build her confidence without pushing too far and her regressing, like when she gets scared at a dog park. Oh and thankfully so far she has never reacted violently, just submissive. But it's sad seeing such a pretty, powerful dog cower away from my friends when they visit and try to pet her. Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You may be moving too fast for your dog. If shes skittish then stop all the negative socialization. Do it at a speed thats good for her, like make a few dog friends and limit interaction to them instead of a dog park where one bad dog can ruin it for her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts