German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice or maybe just knowing that this is "normal" for a GSD. We are not certain of Diesels age but I can almost guarantee he is not 2 yet. His OB is coming along great, I work him every day without fail on his OB proofing the down, sit, etc. I excercise him daily for a minimum of 1.5 hours + .5 hour of OB so he gets at least 2 hours of stimulation daily and we play hard until he lays down and doesn't want to play anymore. Not just walks we play with the flirt pole, tug, run up and down hills, like hard play that I know tires him out.

I am covered from toes to neck in bruises because he is such a gorilla. He is mouthy, jumpy, runs into me, knocks me over just a gorilla. Is this normal? Even after he has played and is tired he still does this to me. He will jump in my bed and literally maul me to death then flop all 100lbs of him self down on top of me not next to me on top of me. If I am walking down the hall way he will come running down the hall and tackle me. He has come a long long way but I look like I belong in the witness protection program with all these bruises!

I am trying to figure out if this him being a big puppy, fighting me for dominance (although he will do it my dad too which bothers me since he is almost 60!), or if this is the way that a year old GSD is. I dont think he is trying to intentionally hurt me but Sheesh I only weigh 20lbs more than he does!! :help:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i doubt there's any dominance issues. dogs behave that way
when they're not trained.

I need some advice or maybe just knowing that this is "normal" for a GSD. We are not certain of Diesels age but I can almost guarantee he is not 2 yet. His OB is coming along great, I work him every day without fail on his OB proofing the down, sit, etc. I excercise him daily for a minimum of 1.5 hours + .5 hour of OB so he gets at least 2 hours of stimulation daily and we play hard until he lays down and doesn't want to play anymore. Not just walks we play with the flirt pole, tug, run up and down hills, like hard play that I know tires him out.

I am covered from toes to neck in bruises because he is such a gorilla. He is mouthy, jumpy, runs into me, knocks me over just a gorilla. Is this normal? Even after he has played and is tired he still does this to me. He will jump in my bed and literally maul me to death then flop all 100lbs of him self down on top of me not next to me on top of me. If I am walking down the hall way he will come running down the hall and tackle me. He has come a long long way but I look like I belong in the witness protection program with all these bruises!

>>>>> I am trying to figure out if this him being a big puppy, fighting me for dominance (although he will do it my dad too which bothers me since he is almost 60!), or if this is the way that a year old GSD is.<<<<<

I dont think he is trying to intentionally hurt me but Sheesh I only weigh 20lbs more than he does!! :help:

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Well, if it is any consolation, I had the same situation with my GSD, Hans, for about the first three months after I got him. He was about 1 1/2 years old when I adopted him from someone who had stuck him out in a kennel for a few months, neglecting all training and allowing him to jump on anyone and everyone including his small children when on leash. He really was an out of control dog. I immediately took him to obedience classes and while they helped tremendously, he was just like your dog. Whenever he ran toward me ( no aggression-just really happy to see me) he'd just about bowl me over! For a long time he didn't do ANYTHING calmly. I had bruises just like you and they were so ugly that I would get some strange looks from people at times. I just wanted to say "Look, my dog did all this O.K.?" but then that makes him seem vicious and he's not. My dog has been trained with a prong collar and after a lot of correction and then praise, and being consistent in telling him "OFF" and making him sit to be petted, he has pretty much stopped jumping on other people. As for me, whenever he would start to jump on me,
I would tell him "OFF" and then kind of pull him up against my legs to hug him and now no matter how crazy acting he is, he only comes over and gets up against my legs and I am fine with that. You may not like that method or result, but I personally prefer it to being jumped on. He just wants affection and this way he gets it without mauling me.
For the first couple of months the backs of my hands were black & blue from him tossing his head wildly around inside his crate while I attempted to leash him. Eventually, I got smart enough to allow him to at least stick his big hard head outside the crate door before attempting to put a leash on him. My trainer had just said to tell him to stay before opening the door so he wouldn't knock me over, in our case "stay" includes letting just his head stick out enough to be leashed. This dog is darn smart-I am the slow one to figure things out, lol.
In the beginning, he was REALLY rough and I wondered if I was just too old for such a big, unruly dog. I am "only " 48, but told someone that this is the first year I've really felt my age, which coincidentally (or not) was right after his adoption, lol.
He is a work in progress at 23 months, but is becoming so much calmer and gentler. I think your big puppy will settle down some too!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, if it is any consolation, I had the same situation with my GSD, Hans, for about the first three months after I got him. He was about 1 1/2 years old when I adopted him from someone who had stuck him out in a kennel for a few months, neglecting all training and allowing him to jump on anyone and everyone including his small children when on leash. He really was an out of control dog. I immediately took him to obedience classes and while they helped tremendously, he was just like your dog. Whenever he ran toward me ( no aggression-just really happy to see me) he'd just about bowl me over! For a long time he didn't do ANYTHING calmly. I had bruises just like you and they were so ugly that I would get some strange looks from people at times. I just wanted to say "Look, my dog did all this O.K.?" but then that makes him seem vicious and he's not. My dog has been trained with a prong collar and after a lot of correction and then praise, and being consistent in telling him "OFF" and making him sit to be petted, he has pretty much stopped jumping on other people. As for me, whenever he would start to jump on me,
I would tell him "OFF" and then kind of pull him up against my legs to hug him and now no matter how crazy acting he is, he only comes over and gets up against my legs and I am fine with that. You may not like that method or result, but I personally prefer it to being jumped on. He just wants affection and this way he gets it without mauling me.
For the first couple of months the backs of my hands were black & blue from him tossing his head wildly around inside his crate while I attempted to leash him. Eventually, I got smart enough to allow him to at least stick his big hard head outside the crate door before attempting to put a leash on him. My trainer had just said to tell him to stay before opening the door so he wouldn't knock me over, in our case "stay" includes letting just his head stick out enough to be leashed. This dog is darn smart-I am the slow one to figure things out, lol.
In the beginning, he was REALLY rough and I wondered if I was just too old for such a big, unruly dog. I am "only " 48, but told someone that this is the first year I've really felt my age, which coincidentally (or not) was right after his adoption, lol.
He is a work in progress at 23 months, but is becoming so much calmer and gentler. I think your big puppy will settle down some too!

Your correct it is sheer happiness but OUCH gosh darn it! He has came a LONG way with OB considering he didnt even know a "sit" when he came home and he would pull you off your feet on leash. I work with a trainer although the last couple weeks we have been off track due to storms and extreme heat. I get so frustrated with him I want to scream but he is just happy happy happy... I took him over to the mirror and told him can you see how big you are??? I just want the times when we are not working on OB for him to be a calm dog. It does give me hope that he will calm down, if he were puppy size it would not be so bad but he is upto almost 100lbs and I only weigh 120! I wrangle 1,200lb horses and have no issues but his 100lbs is too much :confused: I cant even wear shorts because my legs are COVERED in bruises, my arms are too but its a bit too hot to wear long sleeves :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Oh, and not sure if Diesel does this, but Hans used to run at me full speed with a toy in his mouth and slam into my stomach. The whole time he'd be chomping furiously with his teeth to keep from dropping the toy. Problem was that he was coming perilously close to some body parts I'd like to keep, lol. Finally, we worked on having him "SIT" right before he body slammed, and then "STAY" until he could calm down enough to play safely! They are a lot of hard work, but sooo worth it!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been practicing NILF. Basically he wants petted he has to sit, he wants to play, he has to sit. He wants in the house he has to sit, he wants outside he has to sit. He wants his dinner he has to sit. It certainly does not stop him from tackling me or when he wants my attention just bowling me over.

I make him have a toy in his mouth if he is excited just to keep his jaws busy lol. I am just wondering if I am causing the problem with the amount of high energy activity instead of calm walking? I do walk him daily but I know that does not get the energy out and he is high energy. I dont necessarily believe in all of "cesars" methods but I do recall watching an episode with a high energy GSD and he said the way the people played with him/her was making it worse. Is that possible?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the bottom line is that he is a teenager and he really loves you although he expresses it in a very rough way. With age, he will mellow down and training will help him become more manageable. GSD are quick learners and train better then most other breeds. But he sounds happy and attached to you.
In any case, time is on your side.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the vote of confidence I am just worried I may be put in a battered woman's shelter before he calms down LOL. I can just imagine what kind of questions I am going to get when I go to the Doctors in a few weeks. I will have to explain to every nurse doctor and receptionist that I am not a battered woman just loved very much by a very large GSD :wub:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts