German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All good breeders with waiting lists were newbies at one time. Just wondering, where do you recommend advertising your litter? Is it really terrible to advertise puppies in the newspaper if you are screening your potential homes? Do you advertise on any specific websites?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I used the newspaper as last resort, and I have gotten some really great homes from that, I did the screening, contracts and followups and even 4/5 years later I am still in contact with most of my first litter, I used hobbly.com and puppy find and http://www.qualitydogs.com/ I am still a newbie with only having 4 litters but everyone of the homes I have been very happy and pleased with and couldn't ask for better homes.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I have gotten good homes out of the newspaper. My vet has recommended me to several of the people that have my puppies. My sister continues to get her friends and work people to buy my pups. AKC listing has gotten me a couple of nibbles. Local GSD club has netted me nothing. My friend who is also breeding GSDs has sent a few people my way. Being out with my puppies/dogs and being at shows has netted me a home or two.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Word of mouth. I have never advertised a litter.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I'm not a breeder but I FOUND my breeder through word-of-mouth. I was looking into getting a rescue GSD and someone in rescue told me about her. I've never seen her dogs advertised anywhere. Sometimes the planned breedings are on her site or a picture of both parents and then the number of pups with the birthdate but that's it. Even so, the demand always exceeds the supply.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I think with an excellent established breeder, who breeds now and then, the demand would exceed the supply. But first the first litter or two, the breeder is not established and a giant question mark to people in the right circles. I think this is what was actually asked about.

I am not so sure about websites as a good way to look for a breeder. Anyone could post photos that make their place look good even if it is a dive. People can also post other people's photos. I think you can start there, but you still have to check references and visit the breeder before deciding on a purchase.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: selzerI think with an excellent established breeder, who breeds now and then, the demand would exceed the supply. But first the first litter or two, the breeder is not established and a giant question mark to people in the right circles. I think this is what was actually asked about.
Fair enough, but if the dogs are being trained, shown, and worked, people at shows and the training clubs should know they exist and express interest.

Sure anyone can say what they want on a web site, I'm not sure how much good they really do anyway even when honest so I agree there. I got my dogs word-of-mouth and I think a good number of people find dogs/breeders using forums like this. Best to always meet the breeder, attend clubs and shows for good opinions. I personally would never consider buying a dog just based on the parents' pics on a web site unless I was already familiar with the dogs and the breeder.

If I was going to go into breeding, I'd probably attach myself to a well-established breeder first, like owning a stud or co-owning a bitch.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: selzerI think with an excellent established breeder, who breeds now and then, the demand would exceed the supply. But first the first litter or two, the breeder is not established and a giant question mark to people in the right circles. I think this is what was actually asked about.
Yes, this is what I was asking about. When a breeder is not yet established for their first litter or two, where do people choose to advertise.
As one of the previous posters had mentioned, they didn't get much response from advertising at a breed club. I think this would *generally* be true, as most people involved in training already have thier hands full with the dogs they have, or are breeders themselves. And as for being seen in shows and trials, I would think it would bea similar response as at a club-already have dogs or breeders, except for the small group of people who aren't competing and just there to watch.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I think the good breeders - even with their first litter - are already known to people through showing and trialing their dogs. I know for me, if I bred Khana I would have no problem selling pups as I already have a list (even though I've opted not to breed her). When you have a quality bitch, one that has been seen earning titles and is known to have extraordinarily healthy lines, people are looking for you and they're going to find you.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I have seen lots of advertisements over on pedigree database. I think there is a whole section for it if I am not mistaken.
I have never purchased a pup from one of those ads and not sure what that involves or if it is the best thing to do...but just thought I would mention it

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Diane,

I had to do a double take on the name
Kept mine (DiCero) as no one can pronounce Gabor's last name and to say "Sue Szilasi", you would have to have a few beers!

1st litter was on our site. Later litters are on our site, plus only on those sites that allow classified postings in the Litter Announcement sections. Most now is that we start a list, based on the breeding. Already had this year's breedings set by Nov., including the one with the new female in Europe.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Oops, Sue! Didn't know, sorry.
For me, pronouncing Szilasi is just like pronouncing Smith, but I know all too well how most people in the US stumble over Hungarian names.

I agree with the poster who said a good breeder will never need to advertise, even when starting out. The dogs and the breeder/handler will be out at venues and the dogs will sell themselves because they will be GOOD. The dogs will be dogs that other experienced people want to have and so they'd probably be begging for a litter. The aspiring breeder will also have been active in the dog world so they wouldn't be an unknown. If a handler is mentioning at the club that he's looking to breed his female and the response is "that's nice" or something less inspiring, then it's clear the dog should not be bred. But if the response is, "About darn time, can I put down a deposit now?" then the dog clearly has good qualities that should be passed on.

Quote:When you have a quality bitch, one that has been seen earning titles and is known to have extraordinarily healthy lines, people are looking for you and they're going to find you.
Agreed. Let the dog sell itself, don't rely on flashy marketing (unless that "flashy marketing" entails busting down helpers at the schutzhund trials
). If I were to start out breeding, I know I wouldn't even think of advertising in dog magazines or newspapers; I would be out campaigning my dog to prove to the world that this dog is AWESOME and would be an asset to the breed, and if people in the know didn't think so, then that would be a good reason to step back and reexamine my choice of stock.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Actually Diana, the dog world can be highly competitive so depending on what lines you have and the type of club you belong to, you may not always get a great response. Some people see other breeders as competition instead of seeing that great female as a way to add to the breed.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
I guess in the working world it's different. So in the US show world, you'd have to glue Jimmy Moses to your dog?
(Sorry, bad joke)

Quote: Some people see other breeders as competition instead of seeing that great female as a way to add to the breed.
Sad, sad, sad. I don't really know what to say except that I wonder when they've forgotten their love for their breed and exchanged it for love for their ego..

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
No, unfortunately the working world can be just as nasty. Luckily there are some good breeders out there, especially on this board, who care about getting good USA bred dogs into the hands of working people even if they didn't produce the litter.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Quote:No, unfortunately the working world can be just as nasty.
Lovely. No wonder this breed has so many splits. But yes, there are some great breeders out there concerned about the breed as a whole, thank goodness.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I actually found my pup on Puppyfind.com

I really like the website. It is supposed to be for purebred pups only, though sometimes someone gets through!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts