German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I used it for several years and it worked for about 3 weeks, then gradually less and less so I switched to Frontline Gold.

The best thing is a Seresta collar, and once they get weak I leave the collar on and use Frontline Gold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm familiar with it but have never used it myself, nor have any of my close friends and family members. The main reason we've all chosen to steer clear of it is because it's a topical that works only on fleas -- it does not kill ticks. If I'm going to use a topical product, I'll stick with K9 Advantix II over Advantage II; they're both made by Bayer, but Advantix works on ticks as well as fleas, and not only kills both, but repels both. ...Although, I suppose if I had cats in my home I'd probably avoid Advantix, but even then, I don't think I'd be comfortable with something that doesn't work on ticks. Ticks are rampant here and those diseases are not something I want to mess with.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
It's the same flea ingredient as in the prescription-only Advantage Multi (which also covers heartworms, unlike Advantage II). It's VERY effective in my region. Like Frontline, it's been around a long time so some fleas in some areas may be resistant to it -- luckily it still works for me, but YMMV. (OTOH, Frontline seems totally worthless in my area.)

If your vet is selling it, odds are it's a good product for YOUR area, as the vets tend to know exactly what works (and what doesn't) locally. FWIW, if it works well in your region, and if you also are buying separate heartworm prevention (like Heartguard), you can likely save money by switching to Advantage Multi which takes the place of both because it includes a heartworm prevention ingredient with the flea prevention (I pay about $13 per dose buying from Valleyvet.com or KVsupply.com).

·
Registered
89 Posts
My dog used Advantage Multi as a puppy and it is an amazing product in my opinion! Can't say about flee but it really works when it comes to heartworm prevention! The only advice my vet gave me is to not bathe my dog the day before and the day after (even though the manufacturer says it's fine!)

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
The other advice I got from a vet about applying it is to take your time and separate the fur in several places so that you can apply it directly on the skin. Some product failure is actually "user error" from people applying it to the fur, not the skin. It needs to absorb through the skin and it's wasted if you put it on the fur.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I use the advantix 2 it is the same as advantage but does ticks, fleas, lice and heart worm keeps flys away to. If you have a lot of ticks in your area I would suggest this. I have used advantage now advantix for many years always worked great and had no issues. Frontline stopped working many years ago so glad Bayer came out with tick protection.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It doesn't seem to work here in South Carolina. We ended up having to switch to Nexguard this summer. I still have some so it's likely I'll use it instead of the Nexguard once it gets cold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts