German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 dogs, Shadow who is 4, and Chopper (lab) that's 2. Both dogs still think they are puppies, and play that way. Shadow's ears are great, and she's had not problems with them as far as I know. This was probably posted before, so I apologize if it was. but Will rough play with adult dogs damage their ears?

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
As far as standing, no. The vast majority of dog paying involves teeth so there is always a chance of an accidental tear or hole, and if that happens it will bleed ALOT. But generally speaking- no. Dogs know exactly how rough they can play fight before it crosses the line. I have had multiple dogs for YEARS and only one time I got an ear tear. This is counting anywhere from 4-8 dogs running and playing together. Rayne ended up with a rip on the tip of her ear. She never quit playing and never escalted out of the play time. In fact she and KC (the one that cut Rayne's ear) were running full speed up and down the hall. There was blood everywhere and I was trying to figure out where it was coming from and they were too busy playing to notice that Mom was getting a little freaked about the amount of blood everywhere. They were having too much fun drag racing which of course jusy caused more blood splatter on the walls, floors, ceiling..... CSI would have had fun working that scene. It was only a tiny cut that eventually healed over.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My dog Reno (mutt) actually did cause damage to Skye's (argentino/greyhound) ears twice when they were playing. They first time he ripped one ear and the second time he caused a rupture of one of the blood vessels in her ear. Her ear filled with blood (the vet called it pillow ear). We had to take her in and have her sedated and they put a drain in it. Once a day we had to put her in the bathtub and gently massage the ear to get the build up of blood out. Now she has scar tissue in that ear and she is really sensitive when another dog gets near her ears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts