German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm somewhat in the same boat as the poster. Its really frustrating. And try as you might you cant help but be sad about it. I spoke to my breeder about my floppy ear 11 month old and they suggested "posting" the ears by having a vet put a plastic tube in the ear then wrap the ear. My gsd developed a **** of an ear infection as a result so I gave up and just chose to love him the way he is.

Turned out several of the litter mates have floppy ears also, genetics.

My gsd is huge as well, plenty of intimidation to go around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
here is the picture of my baby some of you were asking for. we have just started trying the breathe right strip trick just as a last hope. if it doesnt work then thats ok. i love him floppy ears or straight ones.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Awwww, he’s so cute!! :wub:

What does it mean to “cut” the ears? I’ve never heard of that before. It sounds like a horrific practice.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He is a great looking dog. When our male's ears started to stand up my husband said he was going to miss the floppy ears, he looked great with them. And he's a 68lb 6 mo old. Good luck to you and your husband, my nephew is deploying to Afghanistan in two weeks and his wife has two big dogs to keep her company while he's away.

·
Registered
166 Posts
your story is mine word for word about the floppy ears

I have a white shepherd however and he is 120lbs and has the same build as yours. His ears have always been floppy but I think I actually made them a little worse by trying to tape them when it was too late anyways. Like your said though, I'll love him the way he is.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 7 month old puppy Shadow has one floppy ear. It will stand when she is at attention but only for a minute or two. I have come to accept that it won't stand. It gives her character and is definately a conversation starter. haha
I never saw Shadow's sire just the dam but I found out that Shadow isn't the only one in a litter of 6 puppies that had a floppy ear... so it must be genetic in her case because she is on the small side.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
What does it mean to “cut” the ears? I’ve never heard of that before. It sounds like a horrific practice.
I think the OP was just mistaken. Some breeds of dogs like Pit Bulls and Dobermans have their ears cut to make them stand up. GSD ears are not cut ever. Sometimes people will tape them up to try to get them to stand, but cutting just isn't something that is ever done to German Shepherd ears. Some people believe they are, though; probably getting them confused with Dobermans.

To the OP: My GSD that recently passed had floppy ears and I :wub: them. Floppy-eared GSDs are the bestest!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I just had a soft eared GSD at my job and I love him to death!
Oh, he's in that fun punky brewster age about the same age as the OP's dog...

Trust me, from what his owner's say...he's a PIA resource guarding them on the leash...
And, I've seen him get annoyed at another dog...ears are nothing it's the sharp end you got to watch out for.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I do not want to get his ears cut tho

Why are people yelling at the OP when this is what they said?

Asking for advice and saying I do not want to get his ears cut tho. I would take that as please give some advice and this is not an option as in cutting the ears like people do with other breeds.

I have always used tape and a tampon when the ears did not go up.

Here is a link on this subject

Leerburg | Taping German Shepherds Ears

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
He's adorable.
:)
Probably not what you want to hear thinking about protection and all.
But at his size, it's just the bark and the visual; people will think twice about doing anything unacceptable like breaking into your house.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a white shepherd however and he is 120lbs and has the same build as yours. His ears have always been floppy but I think I actually made them a little worse by trying to tape them when it was too late anyways. Like your said though, I'll love him the way he is.
He is still a BEAUTIFUL boy even though his ears aren't perfect.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My 7 month old puppy Shadow has one floppy ear. It will stand when she is at attention but only for a minute or two. I have come to accept that it won't stand. It gives her character and is definately a conversation starter. haha
I never saw Shadow's sire just the dam but I found out that Shadow isn't the only one in a litter of 6 puppies that had a floppy ear... so it must be genetic in her case because she is on the small side.
You are on the cusp of being too late. But since you say her ear goes up when she is at attention try to find situations where she is frequently at attention, it could possibly make the difference. That was a 'trick' I learned many years ago from a breeder.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts