German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!,

My german shepherd is 1 year and 4 months and his ears have yet to stand up. he weighs about 102 lbs so he is rather large. he comes from an excellent blood line with no mixed breeding as far as i know. even when he was a puppy his ears would never stary up for more than a few minutes. my husband and i tried taping them but that didnt seem to help. he is cute with his floppy ears but not very intimidating. when my husband deploys it will be just me and Bowser (the dog) and since he doesnt have a viscious bone in his body i at least want him to look like a guard dog. I do not want to get his ears cut tho. Does anyone have any advice or tricks? should we try taping again?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I agree, at a year + they will never come up.

Also agree 100% about an home security system/gun for protection.

Deployments are tough (my husband has deployed several times) thank goodness you have a buddy to keep you company! Maybe to keep yourself busy and your mind off of the deployment enroll in some obdience classes with your dog. It's something you will both benefit from!

Absolutely no cutting of a GSD ears!!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I think you've run out of time for them to come up naturally. There is a link on the pedigreedatabase.com for implants.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
They probably won't stand up since he's already over a year and it hasn't happened yet, but since when is a 100+ pound GSD (floppy ears or not) not intimidating?

That's still a lot of dog, ears standing or not.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would NEVER cut the ears of a dog!!!!!!!! We had a wonderful girl that always had floppy ears.....but, she had the HEART of a shepherd, and was BEAUTIFUL. Our other dog at the time looked like Rin Tin Tin, and I got very tired of answering the question (about the "floppy" ears...) "What is she mixed with?"
Good luck with the deployment of your husband. I know it can't be easy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just for the record i would NEVER EVER even consider cutting my babies ears. if they arent gonna stand up without that kind of thing then thats fine. i just didnt know if there was something i missed.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
just for the record i would NEVER EVER even consider cutting my babies ears. if they arent gonna stand up without that kind of thing then thats fine. i just didnt know if there was something i missed.
It honestly didn't sound like that was your intention and it's obvious you love your boy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well since its obvious they arent going to stand does anyone know what may of caused it? could it be his size? he is unusually large and his ears are very thick. could it be his size? he has always had things to chew on and there was never any injury to the ears that i know of. we got him when he was 8 weeks.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts

No, you haven't missed anything. I'm afraid, at over a year, that ship has sailed. I dare say, however, the presence of any 102 lb. GSD, floppy ears or no, will serve as a pretty strong deterrent. It's generally the teeth, not the ears, that give people pause. ;)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Do you know if any of his littermates also have floppy ears? I *believe* in could be genetic in alot of cases-sounds like you did everything right (chew toys, etc.) that's the only thing I can think of?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you know if any of his littermates also have floppy ears? I *believe* in could be genetic in alot of cases-sounds like you did everything right (chew toys, etc.) that's the only thing I can think of?
my mom has his brother and his ears stood up after a month or two and have been up ever since. but his brother is also only about 70 lbs. he is much more streamline the smaller whereas bowser is a lot taller and bulker, not fat just big. i dont know about the other littermates. both his parents ears stood up.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
well since its obvious they arent going to stand does anyone know what may of caused it? could it be his size? he is unusually large and his ears are very thick. could it be his size? he has always had things to chew on and there was never any injury to the ears that i know of. we got him when he was 8 weeks.
Genetics. I'll bet anything that your pup has at least one other dog in his pedigree with soft ears.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I like the GSD's with floppy ears :)
Our breeder told us that if you crate the dog too much then it can impede the ears standing up. This would have to be a lot of crating in a crate that makes his ears go down when he stands up, not just the crating itself. Not sure how much truth there is in that.
I wanna see a pic of the cutie patootie.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Agree, I want to see a picture, too. My puppy's ears are starting to stand up, and I'm going to miss the adorable floppy, puppy ears.

What does chew toys have to do with ears?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
My girl is nearly 9 months old and has one soft ear. Just found out that her sire's first litter had 3 pups whose ears never went up :( Molly's litter there are 4 from 9 whose ears are still not up. So it seems genetic's is the best guess. In her case, the sire should never have been breed again. P.S I have glued, so am hoping that this may work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why on earth would you consider "cutting" his ears? That is animal cruelty in my book! My Vinnie is 11yrs old and his ears are floppy that's just the way he is do I love him any less NO. I have every confidence that should I ever be in a bad situation he would be there "protecting his mum" but he is part of the family like my others are:mad:

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
HI!,

My german shepherd is 1 year and 4 months and his ears have yet to stand up. he weighs about 102 lbs so he is rather large. he comes from an excellent blood line with no mixed breeding as far as i know. even when he was a puppy his ears would never stary up for more than a few minutes. my husband and i tried taping them but that didnt seem to help. he is cute with his floppy ears but not very intimidating. when my husband deploys it will be just me and Bowser (the dog) and since he doesnt have a viscious bone in his body i at least want him to look like a guard dog. I do not want to get his ears cut tho. Does anyone have any advice or tricks? should we try taping again?
I agree with everyone else, his ears won't go up at this age. If you go back and read all the other posts in 'Ears Up????' early intervention is key.

GSD's aren't like Dobermanns, you can't cut their ears to make them stand up. Doing some weird cosmetic thing like ear implants can be VERY dangerous (major surgery!!!!) that can have serious complications that may end up with the ears looking worse.

What has the breeder suggested and did this happen to the rest of the pups?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts