German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is almost 5 months and has lost a lot of puppy teeth already. Usually, the puppy tooth falls out first and then the adult tooth starts coming out a couple of days later.

With the upper canines, I have noticed they just started erupting right now (in front of the puppy canines). I saw online that sometimes the puppy teeth are retained and have to be extracted by the vet (especially the canines). Will this be one of those cases? Or is it normal that the adult canines erupt first and then the puppy ones fall out later on?

·
Super Moderator
6,308 Posts
It's fairly normal for some of the puppy teeth to remain while the adult teeth are coming in.My boy had little puppy teeth sticking out every which way for a while.They all fell out eventually and he has a perfect bite.It's very,very rare that they need to be manually removed.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
i had a puppy once with a broken canine... i told the vet where i volunteered (i was 14), first thing she asked was how old my dog was (5/6 months) and proceeded to bet me $5 that it wasn’t broken... that it was likely what you described.

long story short, i won $5!! but the moral of the story is that it’s very common (common enough for the vet to make that bet), especially with the canine teeth and rarely, as mentioned above, requires extractions.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
As a teenager, I worked for a GSD breeder that had a beautiful female, almost a year old who had double canines. I thought they intended that, never asked about it, but I thought it was the coolest thing ever!

When the milk tooth fell out, on it's own eventually...I was crestfallen to say the least LOL!

Give it time, it'll likely resolve itself when it's time.

Of course, if it gets infected, or something ask your vet!

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's fairly normal for some of the puppy teeth to remain while the adult teeth are coming in.My boy had little puppy teeth sticking out every which way for a while.They all fell out eventually and he has a perfect bite.It'sy,very rare that they need to be manually removed.
my pup is doing the same thing right now. I was pretty sure it was fine but this helps me like it helps adrenaline.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
A.

Completely normal, although not too common.

Don’t be surprised if you wind up pulling a few.

I pulled 7-8 out of my Sebastian’s mouth, without issue.

Best of luck to you and your pup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts