German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to post this in the 'Puppy Feeding' Forum, but wasn't sure if that was the appropriate place. Please feel free to move this..

I've been doing some research regarding bonding and hand-feeding. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this in regards to adult dogs, particularly rescues? ..I'm considering doing it with Kai for a period of time to help bond before we start obedience training. I'm rather afraid he may swallow my arm, though :laugh: He doesn't take treats gently at all, I have to count my fingers afterwards..

what are your thoughts/experiences with hand-feeding adults?

·
5,627 Posts
Hand feeding is great for all dogs but I wouldn't wait to start obedience. Use it to get things moving. Ask for things such as sit, down, eye contact, touch etc and then give him/her some of the food as a reinforcement.

Put a couple of pieces in your open hand and let them take it that way if you are afraid of fingers. Hand feeding will also give you the opportunity to teach him to take things more gently and help with his impulse control.

Most of my fosters are hand fed for the first week at least and usually from a pouch as we are going about our daily routine and they are learning what's expected.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am a month in with my GSD rescue and I did a lot of hand feeding at first, I still do it at least a couple times a week just to keep reinforcing the NILF. He also eats my fingers. He has drawn blood on me grabbing, for the first week I had no cuticles on my fingers he took them off! I now feed him like you would with a horse put it in my palm and let him eat it that way so I can save my fingers. He is getting better now that he is fed regularly but its still not gentle like I would like.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Absolutely! I started hand feeding recently with my 2-1/2 year old rescue on my trainer's advice, in preparation for obedience training. It has helped tremendously. We started our actual classes about three weeks after the consult when he told me to start hand feeding, and it greatly improved our bond. Since we have been in class, the dogs only gets what he earns during our training sessions. He's working for every bite of his dinner, and he obviously LOVES it. It's pretty cool seeing his attentiveness multiply. I thought we were bonded before, since I've actually had him for over a year, but that was a joke in comparison to now!

Don't hand it to him. Hold it out and let the dog come get it. Use an open palm, as others have suggested...to save your fingers :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts