German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm sure this question has been asked more than once but can you refresh my memory. I have a 2 year old gsd, gets along with other dogs well.
I brought home my new great dane puppy last Thursday. I thought my shepherd would love her but he seems to be afraid of her at times and will growl at her if she tries to go into his food bowl while he's eating. He even mouthed her when she wouldn't respond to his warnings, but of course didn't hurt her. She submits all the time and she is just trying to kiss his mouth all the time. She took the hint about the food bowl after being mouthed but my question is, should I intervene or let my shepherd tell her what is and isn't acceptable? I don't want her to become food aggressive or possessive of things but I thought puppies were considered rude to adults and need to be told by the adult what's what.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Amanda

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
As long as the puppy is not being physically harmed, and doesn't seem to be emotionally/psychologically stressed - I'd let them work it out.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have been told by people doing large breed rescue that generally, shepherds and danes don't mix well due to their breed characteristics. So you may want to do some research on how to blend your household.

dd

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Supervise feeding time or feed them in different area's. At feed time my dogs are in their own area and can't get to each other.

If the problem is only at feeding time, why create more problems by letting it continue.

Everyone has their own thoughts on how to handle this, but I don't let older dogs boss my pups around.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Sounds like he's trying to put the pup in it's place. A little bully-ing attitude!

I agree with Chris. It's your place to discipline, not the GSD's.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I guess I am confused as to what to do. I definately keep a close eye on him and he is quite gentle with the pup- the pup goes right for the bowl he is eating out of and the shepherd just warns her that she isn't in the right place. He simply uses his voice and stare to move her and an occasional correction with a mouth and sound and the pup really gets the point.

Still not sure whether or not to intervene- My shepherd doesn't really resource guard me or anything else or I'd definately get involved but when its just with food, he deals with it. In fact, he isn't even rude enough to go into puppy's bowl when she eats so a little courteousy is all he asks for I think......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts