German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it is time to put Wolf on adult dog food, I would like some advice. He has allergies, so I go wheat/soy free and chicken/turkey free. He is currently on BB Lamb/Rice. I want to get something that I don't have to go to a specialty store/order for convenience sake and I don't want to go raw. He is doing well on the BB, but the adult version is said to be too grain heavy and not enough meat. I am considering Wellness Core Ocean as that it has a good rating and is easily accessible. Any problems with switching to a fish protein from a meat protein? He is currently on Salmon oil.:help:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
We use TOTW Pacific Stream and BB fish and sweet potato. We try to avoid foods with chicken due to allergies. We used to use lamb and rice food but too much gas:eek: for our dogs. Lamb just does not agree with our shepherds. The fishy type dog foods smell awful but the dogs just love them and at least they are not gassy. Ours love the TOTW and BB combo. We also add salmon oil to the dry food. I would still use the current kind you are using and slowly mix in the new stuff though. All are doing great with this fish combo no loose stools, shiny coats, no flaky skin and tons of energy. We get all of our animal supplies from Tractor Supply it is a lot closer and we don't have to drive 50 miles to a Petsmart.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
We use TOTW Pacific Stream and BB fish and sweet potato. We try to avoid foods with chicken due to allergies. We used to use lamb and rice food but too much gas:eek: for our dogs. Lamb just does not agree with our shepherds. The fishy type dog foods smell awful but the dogs just love them and at least they are not gassy. Ours love the TOTW and BB combo. We also add salmon oil to the dry food. I would still use the current kind you are using and slowly mix in the new stuff though. All are doing great with this fish combo no loose stools, shiny coats, no flaky skin and tons of energy. We get all of our animal supplies from Tractor Supply it is a lot closer and we don't have to drive 50 miles to a Petsmart.

oh you just reminded me i should see if Riley's current food has chicken and put him on something else to see if that helps with his allergies. I guess i find it strange that a DOG could be allergic to chicken...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
When it is time to put Wolf on adult dog food, I would like some advice. He has allergies, so I go wheat/soy free and chicken/turkey free. He is currently on BB Lamb/Rice. I want to get something that I don't have to go to a specialty store/order for convenience sake and I don't want to go raw. He is doing well on the BB, but the adult version is said to be too grain heavy and not enough meat. I am considering Wellness Core Ocean as that it has a good rating and is easily accessible. Any problems with switching to a fish protein from a meat protein? He is currently on Salmon oil.:help:
i think core is a top notch food, but if he is still growing, i wouldnt feed it. ii could go on one of my spiels, but ill just post the following from the wellness website:

I have heard that some of these high protein diets can’t be fed to large breed puppies. Why?
  • Research has shown that large breed puppies should not be fed a diet that is over 1.5% Calcium or they run a significant risk of developing bone abnormalities. Many of the high protein diets on the market today are well in excess of 1.5% Calcium. We do not recommend any large breed puppies be fed our CORE dog diets, or any of the other high protein diets on the market today. In fact, we would conservatively say that puppies in general should not feed higher protein diets that exceed 1.5% Calcium. Again, this is why we feature a maintenance claim and promote the diet for dogs over 1 year in age.
Why is CORE Dog listed as appropriate for maintenance but CORE Cat is listed as all life-stages including cats and kittens?
  • We feel very strongly about providing only proven nutrition to your dog. Research has shown that large breed puppies should not be fed a diet that is over 1.5% Calcium or they run a significant risk of developing bone abnormalities. If we listed our CORE Dog diets as suitable for all life stages, we would be irresponsible knowing inevitably that large breed puppies may be fed these diets (by no fault of their loving owners). In contrast with the CORE Cat diet, there is no supporting evidence that kittens suffer any bone abnormalities from higher calcium levels. We still strived to maintain low mineral content in CORE Cat diet to reduce the occurrence of FLUTD.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
My dog can't tolerate lamb, chicken, beef or venison. Have him on a salmon based food and he is doing awesome. Since he has IBD has to take medications as well, but if I try any other protein based foods, he relapses, has diahrhea and weight loss.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh doesn't like chicken either- he's on Nature's Variety Instinct rabbit kibble, it's grain free. It's considered an 'all stage' food, so it's supposed to be safe to feed pups. I know there's a lot of differing opinions on that. I was mixing in TOTW Pacific because he loves salmon, but I see that NV recently came out with a salmon. I like the NV but I'm not sure how readily available it is, I have to get it at my vet's office. So to answer your question- yep, they love fish protein and

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just switched to TOTW Salmon due to allergies and he's doing great! His itching has almost totally stopped, and he's only been on it for two weeks!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think core is a top notch food, but if he is still growing, i wouldnt feed it. ii could go on one of my spiels, but ill just post the following from the wellness website:

I have heard that some of these high protein diets can’t be fed to large breed puppies. Why?
  • Research has shown that large breed puppies should not be fed a diet that is over 1.5% Calcium or they run a significant risk of developing bone abnormalities. Many of the high protein diets on the market today are well in excess of 1.5% Calcium. We do not recommend any large breed puppies be fed our CORE dog diets, or any of the other high protein diets on the market today. In fact, we would conservatively say that puppies in general should not feed higher protein diets that exceed 1.5% Calcium. Again, this is why we feature a maintenance claim and promote the diet for dogs over 1 year in age.
Why is CORE Dog listed as appropriate for maintenance but CORE Cat is listed as all life-stages including cats and kittens?
  • We feel very strongly about providing only proven nutrition to your dog. Research has shown that large breed puppies should not be fed a diet that is over 1.5% Calcium or they run a significant risk of developing bone abnormalities. If we listed our CORE Dog diets as suitable for all life stages, we would be irresponsible knowing inevitably that large breed puppies may be fed these diets (by no fault of their loving owners). In contrast with the CORE Cat diet, there is no supporting evidence that kittens suffer any bone abnormalities from higher calcium levels. We still strived to maintain low mineral content in CORE Cat diet to reduce the occurrence of FLUTD.
I am going to switch to adult after he turns 1 year old.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh you just reminded me i should see if Riley's current food has chicken and put him on something else to see if that helps with his allergies. I guess i find it strange that a DOG could be allergic to chicken...
According to my research, chicken, soy, corn and wheat are all #1 dog allergies. I did not have him tested; I have just tried to control the situation with the diet change. He has done better on BB Lamb/Rice Puppy but he still itches somewhat. We think he is allergic to grass, tree pollen. He gets benadryl when it gets too bad, he gets baths when needed and brushed a LOT. As I have posted before, he also gets spritzed with a apple cider vinegar/oatmeal conditioner/water combination a few times a day.

I just wanted some input on the fish based diet. I am wondering if giving salmon oil in addition to the fish kibble is just a little too much????????

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
You should try Taste Of The Wild

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/144385-totw-formulas.html

They have a Salmon formula and a Lamb formula

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I am going to switch to adult after he turns 1 year old.

if you want a high quality grain free food that is safe for a still growing pup, you could look into orijen.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I just wanted some input on the fish based diet. I am wondering if giving salmon oil in addition to the fish kibble is just a little too much????????
I don't think adding salmon oil on fish kibble is too much. I use two fish kibbles and plus the salmon oil. My dogs do really well on the fish products. Victor used to shed a lot and now you can pet him without tons of fur coming off. I also use a rake on him and I used to get tons of fur and flakes and now no flakes or tons of fur. He also itched a lot and had some sores. His coat just shines. He also does not itch a lot either now. All of my dogs have gotten shiny coats from this combo. I don't think it is too much now I don't know if there is any adverse consequences of too much fish in the long run but I know this works for my dogs.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I also would like to suggest TOTW. I moved my 8 month old from Core Wellness to TOTW and he loves it. ;) The do have Salmon and Lamb formulas.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I also would like to suggest TOTW. I moved my 8 month old from Core Wellness to TOTW and he loves it. ;) The do have Salmon and Lamb formulas.
i still maintain that Core (and TOTW for the same reason...see FAQ from the wellness site i posted above) are not designed for large breed pups.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts