German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here’s Kousa, my first GSD!! I was wondering if anyone could help guess what her adult coat would be!

She’s currently 16 weeks and pretty small for her age at 20lbs but she’s been to the vet and he said that she’s looking good for her frame and that he’s not concerned with her size, she might just end up a little smaller or have a growth spurt later. My dad has her sister and they’re both pretty little but they’re happy and healthy!

Anyway! Her dad is a red and black LC German import and her mom is a blue and tan LC as well. We’re just starting to see some signs of her floofy coat coming in, her back is super wavy and fluffy!!

She has some interesting markings, her neck and other parts of her underbelly are white. Also, the underneath of her fur is blue but on top she’s golden. We were thinking she would look a lot like mom but her mom has a blue face and hers is solid black. I’ve been looking and haven’t really seen many pups that look like her. Any guesses?? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
9,247 Posts
she’s very cute....however, she is sable.
do you have a photo of the mom to confirm her color?
a sable pup is not possible from the color of the parents you describe. mom may be a “patterned sable” which can be confused for black and tan as adults....or in her case blue and tan.
if you go to the pictures section and looks at threads about Raven by @happyblond, your pup will probably look pretty similar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she’s very cute....however, she is sable.
do you have a photo of the mom to confirm her color?
a sable pup is not possible from the color of the parents you describe. mom may be a “patterned sable” which can be confused for black and tan as adults....or in her case blue and tan.
if you go to the pictures section and looks at threads about Raven by @happyblond, your pup will probably look pretty similar.
here’s mom! It’s kinda an awful picture because she was running around and I was excited to get home lol. I also saw her previously and she looked lighter and fluffier than in this photo as it was drizzling out. Also sorry if I misnamed the colors in my original post I’m still learning. I also included one of dad!

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Yeah so...that puppy is a sable. In order for that to happen, one of the parents MUST be sable. And that puppy is not blue. Her nose leather is black and her eyes are dark.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
do you have registration papers with your puppy? The sire looks like a sable. Dam could be blue but her nose looks black to me. she could be a patterned sable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah so...that puppy is a sable. In order for that to happen, one of the parents MUST be sable. And that puppy is not blue. Her nose leather is black and her eyes are dark.
Thanks for the reply!! So do you think she will end up darker all over?? I attached some photos of her parents on another comment, I might have named the colors wrong initially, I’m still learning lol. I’ve been looking at some long hair sable pups online and have found a few that look like her! Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you have registration papers with your puppy? The sire looks like a sable. Dam could be blue but her nose looks black to me. she could be a patterned sable.
I got them but I don’t have them with me and I don’t remember what it said :/, I’m in uni and I kept all of her important papers with my dad for safekeeping. Thanks for the response

·
Registered
645 Posts
Clay = pattern sable
IMAG1076.jpg

Raven = sable
20200704_155147.jpg

It's crazy how similar the look as puppy's but look totally different now.

There were just a few differences like Raven had the pencil toe's Clay did not Raven always had a solid black line down her back Clay's developed as he aged with Clay face the black receded a lot Raven's has stayed dark, everything on Raven was always just that bit darker.

I'm sure there are a few pictures floating around in the picture section of both my dog's 😅 if you wanted to have a look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks
Clay = pattern sable
View attachment 566371

Raven = sable
View attachment 566370

It's crazy how similar the look as puppy's but look totally different now.

There were just a few differences like Raven had the pencil toe's Clay did not Raven always had a solid black line down her back Clay's developed as he aged with Clay face the black receded a lot Raven's has stayed dark, everything on Raven was always just that bit darker.

I'm sure there are a few pictures floating around in the picture section of both my dog's 😅 if you wanted to have a look.
Thanks so much!! I’ll check out your page!! She doesn’t have any striping down her back but she looks pretty close to your pups at her age! I really appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
9,247 Posts
gonna go out on a limb and guess her name is Kousa @Buckelke ;)

Reactions: Buckelke

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
“So do you think she will end up darker all over?”

In a word? Absolutely.

She’s still a bunch of undercoat, right now, anyway. Tough to judge that as a starting color.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts