German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellow folks just wanna pop in to get some info from u guys ?
First off when does a pup usually get his adult coat fully..? Kaiser's new coat is coming beautifully but there's plenty of puppy fluff left and to top things off his neck is almost entirely puppy fluff which makes him look like a really weird deer or smthin ?
Secondly when do pups actually 'fill' out? He eats really well and weight is good too but sometimes he looks so lean... N his hips and backlegs look so skinny..so was wondering when its gonna change or if that's an issue ...
And thirdly when do they stop biting?? Its wayyy better now tho compared to when he came to us it was a nightmare! But he still occasionally bites to get our attention to play ? He's still teething tho n ears are still dancing lol
Thx guys!
Ps: He's 4 mos old nw ?

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
1) adult coat = somewhere around 6-8 months old

2) fill out = fully grown.

3) biting normally decreases significantly after teething.

·
Registered
547 Posts
1. I'd say a little later than the above. Maybe full coat around 8-9 months.

2. 2.5-3 years. The hips and back legs really fill out around 2 years old. Depending on how long you wait to neuter him, you may or may not see heavy muscle. Neutering early tends to slim down the muscle development and lengthen the legs. If you can, wait until 18 months for neutering so you can be sure his bones and muscles are nicely developed. It'll help with his joints later in life.

3. Once the adult teeth really start coming in, they'll stop biting so much. Just don't let your puppy bully you into doing anything for him.

·
Super Moderator
9,228 Posts
1. Seeing as tho he’s a long coat, although he will lose his puppy fur within the age ranges listed above - my long coat did not get his adult coat length until 2yrs+

2. There are many factors - genetics/lines, diet, altering and gender. Also between 18mo- 3yrs in my experience.

3. *shrug* I don’t do puppies...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts