German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
what are your plans and goals for a pup? I remember this litter, tried to buy a pup from it - I don't think they were for the faint of heart having Nessel as a sire...I have a couple of dogs who come down from a male who is a 2-2 on Nessel....

Lee

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pup will be a working dog. Agility, Rally, Freestyle, Tracking, Herding, possibly Schutzhund. Pretty much anything he's willing to do and I'm able to locate training for.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
You might be the perfect owner for a pup from this male. You are so very involved in training and sports, you may get a ton of fulfillment in sharing sport with a pup from him.

Afra linebreeding in the sire can make for a very responsive, eager competition dog. In my experience, dogs with this much Afra are often much too much dog for me-- but may be absolutely ideal for your plans with an eager, ready-to-roll pup!

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
Jamie - your PM box is full

Lee

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I would think drive and nerve though Nessel could produce some nerviness with some females. Linebreeding in Ignas goes back to Bernd anf some good old blood. Still it means nothing without the factoring of the female and her recombining with this male.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
This pedigree would be such an outcross that you would get dogs of all types and temperaments in this breeding. No uniformity...and a lot of showlines in the dam that may produce some nerviness with Nessel in terms of much drive and a little less nerve.JMO

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Originally Posted By: cliftonanderson1This pedigree would be such an outcross that you would get dogs of all types and temperaments in this breeding. No uniformity...and a lot of showlines in the dam that may produce some nerviness with Nessel in terms of much drive and a little less nerve.JMO
That's what my thought would be too.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Same here. I've also seen far more dogs going back on Nessel and his sire, Gento, that I have not liked than ones I have liked. Mainly due to nerve issues. Others may have a different opinion, but from my experience he's on my list of non-preferred bloodlines. I very much like the bottom side of Ados' pedigree, but the top side isn't to my taste. And crossing it with a bitch of such widely varied pedigree would give me even more concerns of possible nerve problems.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good food for thought. Thank you.

As much as I'd prefer not to have a nervy dog (I've already got one, don't need a second), I'd almost rather that to one that is likely to 'go up the leash' after an unfair correction. But that's just me.

I do understand that such an outcross makes things less easy-to-predict. Aside from the potential for nerve-issues and a dog that will want to work work work, is there anything else I should be wary of?

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
I see more civil aggression and suspicion coming through on the dogs I know who have that 2-2 on Nessel - nerves are super, but again, pedigrees combine and result in different things.

Lee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts