German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All set and approved to bring her home tonight.
What I know about her other than she's incredibly well mannered and sweet. She's 5 years old and she's from Texas (currently Michigan) and no one knows her name. The staff named her Tali. But I don't think I am going to keep it cause shes not even used to it.

But here she is. I'll take more pics tonight.. Obviously.. :D

I'm thinking of naming her Breez. Can anyone help me think of some cool names?
Oh they said her Birthday is estimated to be October 24th. Same day as my birthday. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Aw, so beautiful. I like Mia or Maud(powerful warrior) have fun!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
She's beautiful! When naming a new pet, I like to browse baby naming websites for ideas. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
16,065 Posts
Maybe you can handle this a bit like WL breeders seem to ---- Only instead of picking the letter to start the name from the No. of the breeding, go with the number of dogs you have had? Like if she's your 5th dog, the name would start with an "E". Then what I would do is open a dictionary or two and run through the words under "E" noting every one I liked. Take that list and start eliminating.

However on older dogs, I found that the one who came with no name had his own ideas. He didn't like/respond to the first name I chose. The second one - suggested by the vet after hearing that I needed tires but pulled the dog instead - was fine with him.

Perhaps with an older dog, you might want to be prepared to be a bit flexible on your choice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Beautiful dog!

Some tips below regarding choosing a name. You need to enjoy saying the name and your dog needs to like it as well.

DO:

1. Choose a name that you like. You will be using it all the time, so you should enjoy the sound of it.
  2. Pick a one or two syllable name. Longer names can be difficult for your dog to understand and a pain for you to say over and over.
  3. Try out the new name for a few days and see how your dog responds.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I like Breeze, although I usually try to go for at least two syllable names. At the moment, I have two dogs with three syllable names- they are easy to shorten and make nicknames out of so no big deal. With a one syllable name, it's also easy to add a syllable like Breezy-, or BB, or whatever you land on when you get to know the dog.

I like to chose names that start with a strong letter-sound, and ends in a vowel (y is fine). I had planned to name a certain pup Jessie, but it was not a strong enough for her, so I changed in after a day. Likewise, my first GSD was Chloe for a bit, but that was also too "weak" a name (this is totally a subjective thing) and I changed it. It's OK to start with one name and change it a few days later. I promise the dog won't care.

She is beautiful, wow. Very nice pup.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. :D
Yeah I guess I will have to get her home and see what comes to mind.

I love all the suggestions. I have some time to think about it.

Her name at the shelter is Tali.. But when I say it she doesn't seem to respond.
I guess what I'll do is find a name I like and have my GF and I sit far apart but take turns calling her and when she comes to us we praise and reward her.

I got the idea for the name Breez from this guy that had youtube videos of his GSD sitting with him on a vespa's sidecar and wearing a gopro. I just really loved the name.
I looked for his page but he took the videos down it seems.. Here's a photo from his Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7951759514

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Her name at the shelter is Tali.. But when I say it she doesn't seem to respond.
Most likely given to her by the shelter without teaching her name. You can teach a name in a couple of hours by saying it and giving her a treat.
Have fun! Super exciting to get a new dog.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I like the name Tali, but since you said you share a birthday you could start with translations or variations of gift which she is on two counts! Dar or Hediye are both pretty.

She is beautiful.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Thanks for the replies. :D
Yeah I guess I will have to get her home and see what comes to mind.

I got the idea for the name Breez from this guy that had youtube videos of his GSD sitting with him on a vespa's sidecar and wearing a gopro. I just really loved the name.
I looked for his page but he took the videos down it seems.. Here's a photo from his Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7951759514

Breez is an awesome name!!! I don't think anyone here has ever suggested or has this name...so many try to stretch out the "uniqueness" in their names they forget the simple. It is beautiful and suites the image I have of her riding in the backseat, head out the window, loving life in her new found home and the Breez flowing through he beautiful coat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts