1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,625 Posts
Just saw this. I was at work all day.

Lots of questions.

Was he ever aggressive with you?

When he bit other people, are you referring to street bites or to unwarranted bites?

If they were unwarranted, how bad were the bites?

Do you use some type of correction collar with him?

What is your schedule like? How long will he need to be in a kennel daily? How committed are you to fulfilling his exercise and work needs?

When you say guard dog, do you mean a roving security dog, trained to attack intruders on sight?

How is his OB? Bomb proof recall? Out? Down stay?

How dog savvy are your parents?

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,625 Posts
So no, he is not a roving dog. He works with a handler and only bites on command? I'm just trying to understand how he is trained. A guard dog, by definition here, is a dog that roams an area alone and engages any intruder in that area. A patrol dog is trained to bite on command or in defense of the handler.

Is there a trainer you can work with using a prong collar? This dog needs proofing on commands and black and white rules with consequences.

Reactions: Benjaminb

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,625 Posts
Oops my bad, nope he is not a roving dog and always prowls with a handler - he is thus a patrol dog (we just call it a guard dog here, but it may not be the correct term).

If I do adopt him, I need to send him for compulsory trainings (as part of the adoption rules).
What do the compulsory trainings include? Is it at the same place you trained with him?

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,625 Posts
The compulsory training would just be for obedience, and it is from any external training centres (not from where we trained together).

What sort of training would he require? I've read about behaviour mortification.
That really depends on the dog and I don't have enough information to attempt to build a plan.

The dog needs rules. Hard, fast, do it or else rules, and hard fast don't do it or else rules. How you implement these rules depends on the dog and it could change throughout training.

You need an experienced trainer capable of handling this dog and training you to react appropriately in given situations.

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,625 Posts
I lived in a room that was 8' x 12' with Fama, for a year.

A huge change for a military dog is not spending all their time out of the kennel working or training. It's a massive adjustment for them.

Another thing is not having their handler there all the time when they are out. Typically, when a military dog is out of the kennel, it is right there with the handler.

This is a complicated transition, and handlers are not trainers.

Reactions: Jax08
1 - 5 of 5 Posts