German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aw man. You seem like a really nice guy and thank you for wanting to save this dog and give it the best life as a retired working dog. I think with A LOT of work, dedication, and extra caution anything is possible.. however it’s very difficult. I had to stay at an apartment for some time while my home was being renovated with a gsd and it was very frustrating. High energy dog in a small place just do not mix from my experience. Unless life at camp is really that bad then maybe it would be happy. It would help if you had a park down the street where you can play fetch several times a day. I’m worried if he does have aggression that meets boredom could go wrong. My rescued gsd went through extensive 1x1 training with me and a pro and she’s SO much better but i still muzzled her while leaving the apartment going in an elevator. I would not consider her aggressive she was extremely abused so lacked confidence, guidance and was very fearful ( does not do well with children, she’s dog selective so I never know which dog she gets along with and have to play it safe, she’s fearful of men not to the point of biting but more barking no history of biting as she’s been with me for 5 years but again I’m extra careful and she is SO protective of me so something to keep in mind if you end up having a partner later will your dog be aggressive towards your significant other and possessive over you? this can become an issue. it’s a lot to always have to muzzle your dog and take on this journey. It’s hard to give the best advice as we do not know exactly what the dog is like now and his energy level and temperament. Clearly 2 years ago he was extremely dominant with the humping I doubt that behavior is gone. I personally would not do it just based on living in an apartment especially with your parents not having any experience with dogs — gsds can be a lot for people — gsds with issue is a whole diff story. How do they feel when you brought this idea up with them? Are they on board? I’ve even had a hard time finding an apartment that allowed German Shepherd dogs ( they are restricted breed in a lot of states) and it was a fat non refundable fee. I’ve rescued gsds from TN, TX & NJ and all required a home with a 6 ft fence obvi I have no idea what the requirements are for military dogs . Rental or homeowners insurance exclude German shepherds under the personal liability so if he happened to bite someone like a visitor or even someone forgot to close the door and he ran down the hallway — that lawsuit is coming out of your pocket :/ I doubt you can register him only as a mal x and disclosing known history of aggression would really be up to you to your landlord & rental insurance.

Work wise I do 3 days back to back 12 hr shifts. I take my dogs on a 2 mile run every morning. They have a dog door and a huge fenced in yard and they chill and chase squirrels. I often see them sunbathe on outdoor cameras or play together. I worked really hard to get here and I waited to have dogs until I could give them a life they deserve and I was dying for a dog in my early 20s it’s just the right thing to do. I have someone come to feed dinner & I take them to a park after my long ass day. Other days I work from home and I still do the same thing otherwise no work would get done. I have a 7 year old gsd and a 1 year old gsd Belgian mal ( to be determined 💯) Rain snow or sunshine. It’s really the only way to have a working breed act cool and calm. My boy does well at boarding but my girl does not My trainer from TN would watch my girl when I would travel so maybe you can find a trainer who also dog sits. You’re gonna want to live your life and go places that sometimes you won’t be able to bring your dog with you who will watch him for you?
Just wanted to share my honest experience.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts