German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of the hiring process for a Deputy Sheriff position and when I get a job in law enforcement I want to make sure that my home is safe. Growing up I have always had big dogs (ergo: English Sheep Dog and Giant Snouzer). When I was very young my father had a retired k-9. She was a great watch dog and very playful with the family members. My son and I want a dog and I think that my son would enjoy growing up with a retired police dog as much as I did. I am looking for guidance on where to look and on the protocol.

·
Registered
646 Posts
it's highly unusual that a k9 handler will not keep his/her dog in retirement; but, it does sometimes happen; get the word out, keep your ears open and you may find one

i'm not sure why you specifically want a retired k9 though; as a breed, most gsds are naturally protective of their families; i placed a small female and she adopted the couple's grandchild; that dog was always nose to diaper, there was no better babysitter anywhere

consider taking a dog from a rescue group; these dogs have been in foster situations and the foster group can help you pick a dog to meet your needs, esp w/a child; big dogs can easily knock over and injure a small child unintentionally (you don't say how old your son is); some dogs just aren't good matches for kids (unusual in my experience w/gsds but i've seen it more than once)

and finally, if you really want an older dog, consider adopting a military work dog who's retiring; they are screened and tested before being offered to the public; again, there is help to match potential owner and dog; check out the website

http://www.militaryworkingdogadoptions.com

you may have to wait a bit, but this is a lovely way to get a great dog who would otherwise be euthanized

and finally, if this will be your first german shepherd, do your homework...read about this breed and their needs; they are working dogs and need a job, otherwise they and you will not be happy

good luck

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
.......and welcome aboard......

I agree with the doing of the homework first-
Not to say that you are not capable of dealing with an ex-K9 officer........ they just come with "different baggage" that MUST be respected.

Otherwise- I'd offer to say that there are SO many worthy animals (look on the rescue Urgent and non- Urgent section of t his board) that desire and deserve a great home....and might be nice for a beginner in the GSD breed-
We had a Giant Schnauzer when we were younger and he was a great dog- nothing like my GSD's though- a different personality alltogether.....
Good luck to you - whatever your descision and welcome aboard...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey whats going on? Are you thinking about getting into law enforcement and working with the K9 Unit? I am about to get out of the military and I am trying to get a job as a law enforcement officer as well. I want to join the K9 unit but from what I hear it takes a long time. Just wanted to see if you were interested and if you had any knowledge of entrance into the K9 unit that you might be willing to share. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts