German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would one expect adding a 7 year old recently spayed GSD being retired from breeding? She got along great with other dogs (I neutered rescue one intact GSD). Heat is due Aug 11th. Not taking her until she is spayed before this heat or until after heat starting Aug 11th, then spay when it is safe.

She is a total Mamma dog, matriarchal in a calm way. LOVES to have puppies. Would steal another bitch's puppies if she could type.

Can anyone give some input as to what to expect? Personality changes, stuff like that. My intact dog spent the afternoon with her and did not attempt mounting even though she was flirting lol She is one of those bombproof girls. Great with kids, etc.

She is not going to be "my" dog necessarily, will be my boyfriend's dog. But, we will be spending a good 2 weeks a month together.

My gosh she is in fantastic shape too. LOTS of life left in her, loves her bite work and can hike for days. Looking forward to giving her well deserved golden years <3

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Here is my two cents. You have two male dogs that are the same age under two. Nothing is carved in stone but the likelihood of the two of them beginning to fight is yet to come and it won't be until after they get past two years of age. It won't stop there. The fights will be bad and will only get worse. There is a good chance you will need to crate and rotate for the next ten years after that. I know you have children. The dogs won't care if the children are present if they start to fight. If I we're you, I would have a contingency plan in place for the dogs and the safety of your children. Once you have thought that through, then I would see if and how a third dog fits in that picture.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
I think she is too close to her heat for being spayed. Her veins in her uterus will be larger than normal and surgery will be riskier. She comes home and probably still smells "good" to the boy(s) and most likely they will fight. Two young males seems like a challenge if you have them as house dogs. I personally would rethink the plan and choose harmony. You can't rescue every soul.
Where will you find the time to give the three dogs and the kids everything they need? If you go ahead and take her in, better be prepared with crates and baby gates. Don't know how old the kids are, but, if old enough to know, are they on board?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I should clarify. I did not give current details either.

I have Valor, intact, 13 months. Gets along with her

My boyfriend has Ruger (I gave him Ruger he prefers my boyfriend and is perfect for his lifestyle). Neutered 16 mos old

This will be 2nd dog for my boyfriend. We spend somewhere around 14 days or so together per month (both single parents with joint custody so our time is limited). On our no kid weekends we all go to club (breeder goes too and will show my BF how to work her..she LOVES to work)

This is a retired breeder from my breeder who would thrive in a pet home rather than a working kennel at this point. She is their "house dog" and well loved, but a working kennel is a working kennel.

Anyway, she can absolutely go back if things do not work out. For life. That is in the contract and what I would do even if it wasn't. They will only let her go to someone they know and is in their lives still. So I will have plenty of support.

So we have a safety net for sure.

Plan is let her finish this next heat then when she is all done and definitely out of her cycle take her and spay her when the appropriate post heat time has passed.

Any experience with this? I appreciate all the honest input, thanks.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh also, Wolfy..my 2 boys dont grasp these things but they love animals (they are 7 and 10). My daughter...she is excited. I have to keep reiterating to her this dog will be in our lives sometimes, but it is not ours. My boyfriend and I dont see each other much when we both have our kids. It's been 2 years since divorce and I am a fan of going slowly with kids. I don't see myself integrating families at all. They will be in college before you know. Kids in question are 12, 13, and 14. All girls. Yeah, lets NOT all live together while all 3 go through teen years lol When I have my 3 kids, I only have Valor.

This dog he is taking is very matriarchal in a nice way.When boys get too boisterous she stops it, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts