German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new to this group just joined a few minutes ago...I am 20 and have good news!!!!I have decided to adopt my first German Shepherd from a shelter in about fall 2021...When I have more time ??I cant wait to give a future dog a new home ??Gkad to be here

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Planning ahead is such a good idea. Do your research, and look carefully at the history from where you will adopt to ensure everything goes as well as possible. Remember that if you'll be renting it can sometimes be difficult with a German Shepherd, this can cause issues. Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
169 Posts
GSD’s are amazing! Just make sure you do lots of research, you need to know what kind of dog you are getting. But with that much time you can definitely study up on them. Congratulation!!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome! Always good to learn as much as possible before you do something. We always adopt from a shelter. For a first dog, I would recommend you look for an adult, gender of your choice. It took us 3 months to find Duke and you should be prepared to walk away from some of the dogs in the shelter. They come in all personalities from all situations. Remember that you are also adopting any problems the dog has and will have to work through them. We've had dogs that just walked in and made themselves at home and one dog that never recovered from PTSD. (What Ellie went through was heartbreaking at times, just getting her out of the bathroom of from behind the couch was a big deal). ALL shelter dogs come with baggage but after a month or so they adopt you and things improve. You also need to be quick. Check the shelter web sites every day because dogs come and go. If you see a dog you are interested in call and see if he's still available and tell them you are coming in so they can expect you. Your chances are better if they are having an adoption event. We have walked away from aggressive dogs, dogs too attached to their owners, dogs who did not like the dog we already had. We adopted a chicken thief, a frequent shelter guest, and several strays. Elke was the terror of the shelter, jumping all over people and just generally wild. She turned out to be a sweetheart, just didn't like the shelter I guess. And don't argue over the price. Remember there are also hidden costs, like a license. And it's nice to buy a name tag before you leave, maybe a leash. Around here a collar is included. The vet check is usually free but the dog may need shots at that time. We have leashes, collars and name tags that we take with us. As long as you can get home without the dog making a break for it, you are okay, so you need some sort of id on him or her. Shelters give the dog a name, but odds are, the dog does not know that's his name yet. Good luck finding the perfect dog. Like most things, preparation is very important.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts