German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="color: #000099"> This boy is at the Wood County Dog Shelter in Bowling Green, OH. Bowling Green is about 20 miles south of Toledo.

There is no information given about him, other than that he is about 3 or 4 years old, and was found as a stray. The Wood County Dog Shelter IS a kill-shelter. They do their best to find homes or rescues for the dogs there, but they do euthanize.

I have no further information about this boy. If you're interested in him, please call the shelter and ask about him - they are very helpful there and are rescue-friendly!
</span>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> 07-712 </span>

http://www.co.wood.oh.us/dogshelter/gallery/gallery.asp?ID=432

Wood County Dog Shelter
http://www.co.wood.oh.us/dogshelter/Adoption.htm
1912 E. Gypsy Lane Rd.
Bowling Green, OH 43402
Phone: 419-354-9242
Fax: 419-353-9802
Email: [email protected]

The Wood County Dog Shelter is open:

Monday 8:30 - 4:30
Tuesday 8:30 - 4:30
Wednesday 8:30 - 4:30
Thursday 8:30 - 12:00 & 3:30 - 4:30
Friday 8:30 - 4:30
Saturday 9:00 - 12:00
Sunday Closed

Adoption Policy

All of our dogs are $55.00
Included in that price is a $30.00 certificate, which goes towards getting the dog spayed or neutered, you will also receive a current Wood County Dog License

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Re: Young Black GSD Boy in Bowling Green, OH

What a beautiful boy! I just love the blacks!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I live very close to the shelter, but unfortunately can't get there while they're open - and Saturday morning I'm transporting and won't be back until afternoon

However, I know from past experience with the shelter that Warden Rodney Cook or Deputy Nora (I can't remember her last name) do a good job of evaluating the dogs, so they should be able to provide useful information about them.

A few years ago, the warden went out on a call about a stray black GSD. The dog was in horrible shape, and the warden brought him in and they had him laying on a blanket in the office with them. The dog was so flea-bitten that there was blood on the blanket when the dog got up. The dog sort of became a favorite of the staff, and he spent a few months with them. He eventually found his new home and they have a photo of him above the warden's desk just to remind them what their job is all about.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

I emailed them last night to ask how his temperment was and how he is with other dogs and cats. Haven't heard anything yet and I'm still waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

I've been in contact with the shelter. Seems they aren't sure about him with cats as they don't handle cats.
I can't stop coming back to this guy. Does anyone know the best way to find out how he would be with cats? He's really starting to get to me. Those beautiful eyes.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I have no idea if this is possible, but you might try contacting the Wood County Humane Society - they are a no-kill shelter in Bowling Green also and they have a lot of cats at the shelter. They also work with the dog warden's office, so possibly one of the volunteers from the Humane Society would take a cat over there and see his reaction.

I'm highly allergic to cats and am not a cat person, so I would be no help with this one - I also have no kids and don't know anyone with any, so I can't help with seeing how he is with kids either.

I would highly recommend calling the Humane Society instead of e-mailing - I know sometimes the volunteers take quite awhile to get to the e-mails.

Here is their information:

Wood County Humane Society
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OH73.html
801 Van Camp Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone: 419 352-7339
[email protected]

Business Hours: Monday and Tuesday - Closed
Wednesday and Thursday - 12 to 7 pm
Friday, Saturday and Sunday - 12 to 4 pm

·
Registered
5,708 Posts

I have spoken with the shelter on this boy, because I really liked him also, but not sure he will work for us.....

I have talked via e-mail with Nora a few times & so far have been told he would do best with a dominate female.

I know someone that has called the shelter & they were told (not sure by Nora, but it sounded like a man).......that's he is *very* aggressive towards small furry animals & while at the vet, tried to taste a ferret ! Also, he wants to be in charge.

I have e-mailed to confirm info with Nora & other questions & she said, would get with me on Mon. .

Raysmom.........you didn't make it there to see how he seems ? Do you think you will ?

~Thanks~

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:Raysmom.........you didn't make it there to see how he seems ? Do you think you will ?
Unfortunately I couldn't leave work early on Friday to get there before they closed; and yesterday I had some things to take care of in the morning and then had to leave to drive a transport, so I wasn't able to get to the pound.

I can try to get there after Christmas, but I really wish someone with kids and cats could go take a look at him - it would be much more helpful than I will be!

·
Registered
5,708 Posts

Originally Posted By: raysmom
Quote:Raysmom.........you didn't make it there to see how he seems ? Do you think you will ?
Unfortunately I couldn't leave work early on Friday to get there before they closed; and yesterday I had some things to take care of in the morning and then had to leave to drive a transport, so I wasn't able to get to the pound.

I can try to get there after Christmas, but I really wish someone with kids and cats could go take a look at him - it would be much more helpful than I will be!

They way I take it..........the kids thing needs to be checked out, but the cat OR fury small animal thing, sounds like a issue. Also, he wants to be in control. I'm still waiting on Nora to confirm this though.

So, is this a kill shelter or not ? Wonered because your 1st post states it is & one other states it isn't ?

I know Nora stated that they kill & she tries not to get too involved knowing the animal for this reason.

I just love this boy...............

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The Wood County Dog Shelter, where this boy is at, IS a kill shelter.

The Wood County Humane Society, where they have cats and where I was thinking possibly a volunteer could take a cat from and go out to the dog shelter to see how he reacts to the cat, is a NO- KILL shelter.

The Dog Shelter and the Humane Society work closely together to save as many dogs as possible, but this boy IS NOT safe at the dog shelter.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I have contacted a trainer who works with the humane society and asked if she'd be willing to go out to the dog shelter and evaluate this boy. I'll let you know if I hear back from her and if she's willing to do this.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts

That would be great.

Nora did e-mail back & said, NOT good with cats OR small animals.

She said, he was laid back at first when he came in & seems to be dominate acting now. He reacted dominate to a intack male & this is why she thought he would do better with a female.

Well, we have a female (dominate, alpha) & a male (intack yet).

So, not sure how he would fit in ? If she's correct on the weight 67.6 (seems small for a 3-4 yr. old GS & he looks way bigger by pic), I think my 2 would handle him. Our female is about 75 & our male 87.

I just don't want a dog that's so aggressive with small animals that it's hard to take them to pet shops etc.

I don't have cats or small animals (other than wildlife to chase) to worry about. Just the fitting in the pack issues. Never have rescued or brought a adult in our pack. Always thought if I did rescue, would need a very laid back submissive male or a pup.

Our female is the dominate one in the pack & our male being still intack so not sure about another male ? Helps this boy is neutered.

I just don't want this boy PTS...........
He is just gorgeous.

Nora has been great about answering my e-mails. I just don't think she knows his true temp at this point. Needing a GSD person.

If she goes, yes..........please inform.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Here's how it stands right now......

I'm planning on going to the shelter on Wednesday with someone who has a lot of GSD experience and is bringing some nephews and nieces with her, so we can see how he acts. The trainer charges the humane society and the dog shelter for the evaluations (which is understandable), so I thought we'd try this first.

Hopefully this works out - I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

We went and saw this boy today - he's an absolute sweetheart! We had a young child with us, he's about 7 years old, and the dog was wonderful with him. He went up to him, stretched and licked his face! He liked to play with a tennis ball, but didn't mind when we tried to take it away from him. He didn't mind us messing with his ears, mouth, paws, etc. - he loves attention and put his head in our laps to be petted.

He was great with all of us - 3 women, a man and a child. He sat on command, with a little coaxing. I think he has a lot of potential and definitely deserves to live!! The male deputy warden did an alpha roll on him and he was a little vocal, but submitted with no problem - did not fight at all - just laid back. He seems to have a very happy disposition.

He is pretty thin and needs to put on a little weight. He smelled like a shelter dog, but that's to be expected. He's been vaccinated and neutered.

We did not have another dog with us, but they said he gets along well with the other dogs at the shelter - wants to play with them, but is not aggressive.

The person who went with me is GSD knowledgeable and has 2 certified therapy dogs - she said there's not a mean bone in this boy's body - and I agree!

She took some pics on her cell phone and will be e-mailing them to me later today, and I will post here.

If anyone is interested in this boy, please consider him - I don't think you'll be disappointed!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Here is the assessment of this boy from the other GSD person who went with me today. (The child with her was 10 years old, not 7 or 8 - sorry!)

This is one of the nicest dogs I have ever met, in or out of a shelter. He had obviously been out on his own for a while, but he showed no fear of people at all. In fact he was warm and loving and a bit of a goofball. He's quite vocal, he "talked" to us. He went right up to the 10yr old boy we had with us and gave Austin kisses on his chin. He was very playful- batting around a tennis ball and playing "fetch" with us.He was gentle about taking the ball and about letting me take it out of his mouth. When the shelter employee squeezed his paws, he just rolled over on his back & covered his face with his paws and "cried"-- acting for all the world as if he was being tortured. He did the same with getting his lips and ears tugged on- turned on that "German Shepherd melodrama" they are so good at and worked it for everything he had.

He knows "sit", "wait" & "down" and is very polite about playing with people. He doesn't jump on you or get pushy. He DOES like affection and will try to wrap himself around your legs while you are petting him, and seems to enjoy hugs around the neck. It's obvious somebody spent time with him and loved him. The 10yr old, Austin, said on the way out "That's a really great dog, he reminds me of Joker, you should adopt him. I really like that dog." This is high praise from a boy whose family has collies and who grew up with them and my own GSDs! (Joker was my old GSD, and a truly one-in-a-million dog- comparing to Joker is high praise!).

The pictures were taken with my camera phone, so they do not do him justice, but you can see him playing with Austin. He was very gentle with the child, and seemed to enjoy playing with Austin.

This is a seriously awesome young guy, and to be honest if I did not already have 5 dogs of my own, I'd have taken him home with me. He's a very special dog who deserves a truly special adopter to love him all to crazy.

Here are the photos - not the best quality as they were taken with a cell phone:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

<span style="color: #FF0000"> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>I HAVE FOUND A RESCUE FOR THIS BOY!!!!! </span> </span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">He'll be going to Caring 4 Canines Rescue in Sand Creek, MI http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MI394.html either tomorrow or Saturday. She's an all-breed rescue, but loves GSD's and has taken in quite a few that have been posted on here! The rescue is just over the OH/MI border, so if anyone is interested in this boy, please contact Connie from Caring 4 Canines at [email protected] </span>

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I just called the shelter to make pull arrangements and there is a family looking at him and may be adopting him! I'll let everyone know what I find out!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts