German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Poor Hans was left by his owner tied to the shelter fence.
Let me tell you a little bit about him. His name is Hans and he is
98#. He looks to be a red sable and he is neutered. Age wise i would
have to say 5-7 years. He is very nice.

Sadly ... he will be euthanized if a rescue angel cannot be found as he has been diagnosed with a perianal fistual.

Shelter Info for Hans :

Sayreville Pet Adoption Center
732-727-3895
Contact person : Barbara

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Re: HANS-PERIANAL FISTULA-LITTLE HOPE-NJ

OK guys what are we going to do to help this guy? I got my Rin and it is a miracle-lets try the same for Hans.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The vet tech has pleaded for some time to find him rescue...

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

I will gladly donate to an approved rescue to help with his expenses.

Please send me a PM if help is needed.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

I am the vet tech who involved with Hans. His condition is severe and that is why the vet says to euthanize and do to the huge cost of treatment, but this dog will just melt your heart. He is a big lug of a dog and is very sweet. He was left tied to the fence while we were all inside at work. One good thing is that there was a video camera and we have them on film doing this. Please help if you can in anyway. Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

eadavis please email me off list !! PLEASE [email protected] thank you

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hi srfd44-2...it was wonderful talking to you last night...and it is so apparent how much you care! This shelter is lucky to have you!!
Praying for a miracle!

·
Registered
714 Posts

I was actually talking to a clinician at work about fistulas a few weeks ago. There are medical and surgical options out there that can, and do work, although can be costly and time consuming. One paper I read is summarized at http://www.gsdhelpline.com/perianal.htm .

Hope we can help this boy.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

We had a dog in rescue that actually...I guess you would say...went into remission (as they claim there is no cure...although this dog seems cured to me)...when his food was changed with prozyme added. He never had to even go on the cylosporine. It's been two years now.....

Although I don't know the severity vs. this dog. I do know he was really sick though. Amazing when you see that there really is a correlation with this condition and allergies....at least in some cases.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

i feel the same way about Hans as I did Coco. Something about them just touches( grabs hold and yanks like ****) at your heart. I am a very positive person, but if it is meant for him to pass then he knew love and kindness and not all people throw you away like garbage. I have worked for this vet hospital for 11 years and have seen things that will curl your hair. I have never looked down on someone who because of financial difficulties had to make the choice to PTS. At least they did not want the animal to suffer, but to turn your back on them and to have them watch you as you leave them behind ?

I am sorry for carrying on, but it has not been a good week. My supervisor's Lab is also very sick with a Auto Immune Disease brought on by a vaccine. In one, medicine may kill her and the other medicine may or may not help with Hans. Both are beautiful dogs should not be going thru this evil.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

yes...it's sad that he had to deal with desertion on top of it all...to have his heart broken by his owners..and end up confused and sad....on top of his suffering.......

·
Registered
9,348 Posts

srfd44-2, my last dog got so many perianal fistulas during his 9th year, his backside was honeycombed with them. A new tract was there every month. BUT.. my vet practiced Chinese traditional vet medicine. She put him on herbs-- long dan xi gai tan and xiao chai hu tan. The fistulas stopped-- and never returned. Chell lived until 15. If it helps Hans, please PM me and I can get you or the rescue vet you are working with the contact info for my vet in USA that did this for my dog. If this can help Hans, I will be happy to share the info!! Hans looks so much like my Chell... sweet honeybun of a dog.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I would like to clarify why he was put in URGENT.
1. He is in Animal Control - not sayreville no kill shelter. Kathy asked me to put that info down as they would be the most helpful and are right next door.

Sorry I should have specified. Can he please be moved back to urgent.

This dog is in AC. He has been seen by a vet who has stated he should be euthanized.

·
Registered
714 Posts

How much time does Hans have? Did the vet say to euthanise because he thought the fistula's were untreatable or just because of the potential cost to treat?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Treatment is not the problem. The cost is what he is concerned about. I hope we can help this poor guy. He at least deserves a chance.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts

srfd44-2, thank you for advocating for Hans! What a handsome, sweetheart of a boy. I hope someone welcomes him as their new best friend, treatment expenses and all. He looks like he is ready to give as much love back as he gets.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

As far as time goes for Hans I don't think there is much. If anyone can help PLEASE! If it is fostering or helping with treatment you would have his undying gratitude and thanks......and mine also.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Here is another picture that shows Hans' face better.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts